This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12.2 Lite Won't startup

ian4238

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:29:35 am

I have Zorin 12 Ultimate and Zorin 12 Lite Ultimate on 2 PCs, with no problems. I have Zorin Lite Core on my notebook (Acer Aspire Dual core 1.2 GHz 2GB RAM HDD 160GB 11.5"). It is a dual boot Linux Lite 3.2 with Zorin 12.2 Lite. Originally Linux Lite was top of boot list. After downloading updates today, Zorin Lite refuses to boot up. It has moved Zorin to the top of the list, but when you click on Zorin, it sits for a while, then goes back to the list again. If I click on Linux Lite it boots OK, and I am using it now. Prior to the update, I have never had any problem of any sort. Any idea how to get Zorin to boot again, without reinstalling?

ian4238

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:01:17 pm

I just tried in the boot menu reverting from "Zorin with Linux 4.13.0-2 generic"
to "Zorin with Linux 4.10.0-38 generic". It boots OK from the older Linux version, so there must be a problem with the latest updates. At the same time I have updated Linux Lite (XFCE) which includes some changes to GRUB, but it continues to boot up and work properly. I have never before had such a problem with Zorin.
I have not had any such problem with Zorin Lite Ultimate on my main PC, only with Zorin Lite free. Any suggestions how to fix it?

zorinantwerp

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:13:06 pm

Hi Ian,
Thanks for advising your workout. No doubt other users with dual linux distros will take advantage. :)
In reply Swarfendor437 will revert on possible Zorin Lite free issues.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:49:27 pm

Hi, I currently don't have any Zorin Lite installed on any machines in my control, mainly because Zorin Lite versions have always had PAE enabled. I am currently testing AntiX-17 on an old Dell Notebook which only has 512 Mb RAM and it appears to be working well and installed more quickly than some other 'lightweight' distros. My advice to ian4238 is to PM AZorin and zorink. ;) :D

ian4238

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:22:15 am

I think calling Zorin XFCE "Lite" is a misnomer. It seems to have the same capabilities and software as Zorin Gnome, and I find it more stable and ideal on my main PC. Regarding my 11" notebook, I spent hours trying to fix the (Core) problem. Overall, I have found Linux Lite more suitable (more 'lite'), and yesterday formatted the notebook HDD and reinstalled Linux Lite as sole OS. Thanks for help and advice.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:04:34 pm

Hi, Glad you are happy with your choice of GNU/Linux. Zorin Lite is based on xfce which is a lightweight desktop. You may need to have checked what applications are running at startup. If you want a very light desktop that does not have PAE enabled, I can highly recommend AntiX-17. Another alternative Xfce DE enabled OS is SolydX, community (stable) edition, which does not have PAE present either. Forgot to mention 32-bit editions of Antix and SolydX ;) :D