This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] File manager glitches - nautilus vs dolphin

zordkhan

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:48:29 pm

I'm using Zorin 12 ultimate and I find that the built-in system file manager, nautilus, has a glitch. If I perform one operation (copy, move, or delete a file or folder) it works fine. But when I want to perform a second operation it hangs, and I have to kill the window and restart the program.

So I looked into using another file manager, and I am trying out Dolphin. It does have a slightly friendlier interface except for the fact that it shows no icons, only the names of the folders. If I run it in a terminal I get the message "QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap" (among others, but this seems to be the most relevant). From various Ubuntu message boards it seems that to get Dolphin showing icons I need to download the oxygen icon set, and to do that I also need to install CMake. It all seems to take a lot of space (474 + 704 MB) so before I go ahead I just wonder if ... if I am even doing the right thing. Maybe there is another more Zorin-friendly fix?

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:10:22 pm

This should really be in Help and Support, but to answer your question, use Thunar file manager instead. Do NOT remove Nautilus or you will bork your system.

zorinantwerp

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:00:25 pm

noted above with interest.

FYI I am using Nemo which is the official file manager for the Cinnamon desktop. It allows to browse directories, preview files and launch applications associated with them. It is also responsible for handling the icons on the Cinnamon desktop. It works on local and remote filesystems.
+++

zordkhan

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:52:33 pm

many thanks - Thunar works like a dream.