This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Never connected when first start up computer

Justin R

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:07:34 pm

Hi I'm running Zorin OS core 9 on an Asus P5K with an ethernet connection to the router.
The problem is that when I start up the computer, or when it's been in suspend mode, it is never connected to the internet. Firefox just tells me it's offline.
If I reboot everythings fine again and the homepage loads automatically.
If I switch off for a couple of hours when I start up it's offline again.
So every time I want to do some work I have to start up the machine twice!
Maybe I should upgrade to Zorin 12 but one of the main reasons I went for Zorin in the first place was that I wanted to avoid having to relearn stuff too often since I get pretty limited time on the machine.
This is also the reason I'm pretty rubbish with computers so please forgive me if I require a bit of handholding!
Hopefully it's a common problem with a simple solution...
Anyway any help at all would be much appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:04:29 pm

Is this the spec of the motherboard?

https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-p5k- ... ies/specs/

Justin R

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:19:48 pm

Hi Swarfendor437,
thanks for your question
I think the answer is no: the system profiler tells me it's an Asus P5K-VM

zorinantwerp

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:44:12 pm

have you checked here yet for bios update/firmware?
Code:
https://www.asus.com/ae-en/Motherboards/P5KVM/HelpDesk_Download/

Justin R

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:50:01 pm

Hi zorinantwerp,
I didn't even know updating any of that was possible!
I've now had a general look at the Asus website stuff (starting at P5K-VM as you suggested) including the faq where I found some informative pages and I'm now a little better educated in this regard, so thank you for that just for starters.
I take it that you are suggesting the problem might be that I need a bios update? (which makes me a little nervous that I might get it wrong!).
I've got windows 7 on a partition and I just tried booting that to see if it has the same problem and it does exactly the same thing so I assume this means the problem is definitely in the bios/firmware?
Cheers

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:28:18 pm

Hi, a lot of issues raised in the past have been down to BIOS/Firmware update - always worth looking as the starting point before installing any new OS. ;) :D Asus are good at giving you the procedures for a BIOS update. Depending on age of machine this will vary. On modern motherboards for example the BIOS interface will look for a downloaded update on a flash (memory stick/thumb) drive to update from. On older machines you would have to download to floppy/CD/ and boot off of that. In the past there have been some problems with ASUS having a utility that ran in Winodows and borked the machine so if there is any suggestion of that, DO NOT do it! (Speaking from personal experience!) ;) :D

Justin R

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:57:38 pm

Thanks both, I'm going to do the bios thing next (when I've got all my soldiers lined up) but might not be for a while, so I'm marking this thread a ssolved.
Many thanks again
justin

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:59:43 pm

The issue has not been solved so correctly marked as [CLOSED]. ;)

Justin R

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:03:48 am

Ah yes ok. Tried to change it back before I realised you'd done it (very quickly for such a late hour!) rather than me making a mistake!
'Night then.