This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Software, Software & Updates and Software Updater

Finston Pickle

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:08:41 am

I am confused by the relationships of Software, Software & Updates and Software Updater to each other.

I set "Main Server" in "Software & Updates" - which seems to be used by "Software Updater" - which periodically pops up to tell me new software is available. As far as I am aware everything is up to date using "Software Updater".

I just looked in "Software" on another issue (mouse and (&) touchpad packages - another thread) and found, under "Updates", "OS updates" oustanding - as far as it is concerned.

I know already that mylaptop kernels are not to the later versions that some Zorin users are running - but I had put that down to "central control" looking after my laptop and not running later kernels which seem, online, to give issues with laptops.

Does anyone have a simple explanation and suggestions for the way I should proceed?

zorinantwerp

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:04:12 pm

Hi Finston

honestly I have similar feelings on the confusion of update menu items :)
for myself I can give an explanation but not 100 % failproof.
I think we should blame Swarf :mrgreen:

+++

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:39:30 pm

Download the unfinished unofficial manual - there is an 'explanation' of sorts there. :P :D

Finston Pickle

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:27:39 am

Thanks Swarf and Zorinantwerp.

I will look at the unofficial handbook again for this issue, Swarf - any idea which page am I looking for, please? - Page 47 by the look of it.

Zorinantwerp, what is your take on it, please?