This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Trouble with an application - to do with "gsettings"?

wombat140

Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:21:20 am

When I used Windows I had a very handy little piece of software called "Workrave", which warned you to take a break at set intervals. It's available for Linux, so I've tried to reinstall it, but it's not working right.

Workrave has an official mainling list by way of technical supprt, so I asked for assistance there, and they said something I didn't understand about what they thought might be causing ti, and suggested uninstalling and reinstalling a particujlar version. I tried that but it didn't work. I wrote again but this time haven't had an answer a week later, so I thought I'd post what I've got here in case any of you think you can make anything of what they were saying. Help much appreciated please.

Here's what I have so far:
> ...I installed it but there is no system tray icon, although I know it's running because it puts up the notifications. Also the notifications don't have Skip or Postpone buttons, even though I selected them in Preferences. Also, if I bring up Preferences, the tiny window (with the timers) disappears when I close the preferences window, so after that (since there's no tray icon) I can't get at Workrave's controls unless I forcibly end the program using System Monitor and then start again.

Did you compile Workrave yourself?
Sounds as if Workrave cannot save it’s settings.
By default, Workrave uses gsettings to save its settings.
gsettings requires schema files to be installed in the right location, otherwise saving settings doesn’t work.

If it is Trusty based, you can try to install Workrave from https://launchpad.net/~rob-caelers/+arc ... ter=trusty

Kind regards,
Rob

I've now uninstalled Workrave and reinstalled it from the Launchpad page you mentioned (the first time, I'd just installed it from the Ubuntu Software Centre). The same problem is still happening. What's "gsettings"? Iis it a file, a program, or what is it? And do you have any idea how to fix it, please?

Incidedentally, once the progream has gone into its invisible phase (all windows closed and no tray icon), Stop Process won't turn it off, only End Process or Kill Process. I don't know if that's significant.

zorinantwerp

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:12:05 am

Hi wombat 140
tks for bringing this software to my attention
what OS version you are using? I have Zorin Ulitmate (paid version)
I installed it by using programTerminal
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install workrave-data

at all time the workrave icon is in the taskbar
I would add the program to start-up applications to have it running when your laptop starts up

when then microbreak ends I get a buzz to restart working :)

+++

wombat140

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:09:57 pm

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it the way you said, just to try, but it's still doing the same thing. What's "gsettings" and mught there be a way of sorting out these "schema files" so that Workrave can find them properly?
Yes, it is a good program! I certainly will set it to start automatically once I'm sure it's stopped behaving like this, but I certainly won't until it has! :-D
I'm using Zorin 9 Core (I know 12 is out now, but there are good reasions why I'm not upgrading it yet).

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:41:46 pm

Hi zorinantwerp, thanks for stepping in. Is that still using your cinammon DE? ;) :D

zorinantwerp

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:22:32 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi zorinantwerp, thanks for stepping in. Is that still using your cinammon DE? ;) :D

it is much softer to my eyes but I know you will hammer me becoz a community PPA comes without guarantee :)

+++

zorinantwerp

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:29:49 pm

wombat140 wrote:I'm using Zorin 9 Core (I know 12 is out now, but there are good reasions why I'm not upgrading it yet).

sorry mate Zorin OS 9 is outside my league so GSettings configuration tool I cannot assist you

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:37:42 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi zorinantwerp, thanks for stepping in. Is that still using your cinammon DE? ;) :D

it is much softer to my eyes but I know you will hammer me becoz a community PPA comes without guarantee :)

+++

Unlike some members, I don't have anything against PPA's if it gets what I need (want!) ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:46:12 pm

Hi wombat140, Zorin 9 was based on Ubuntu 14.04. Give this a try:

https://www.howtoinstall.co/en/ubuntu/t ... op-schemas

wombat140

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:06:11 pm

Thanks Swarfendor. Apt-Get is claiming that gsettings-desktop-schemas is already installed ias the latest version. Any thoughts I don't actually know what Gsettings is or what it does, so if you do you might at the least be able to give me a clue to what to try.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:22:56 pm

While I was looking into getting there was a lot of reference to dConf Editor replacing gsettings. Have you got dconf-tools installed?

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:06:25 pm

Hi,

Whilst looking into this some more I found this thread:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/556809/ ... ome/729323

I don't know how you installed it but can you try from a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T):

Code:
sudo apt-get purge workrave

Then install it from Synaptic Package Manager:

Synaptic Workrave.jpg

wombat140

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:50:46 pm

(Back to my old trickk of forgetting that this forum doesn't send e-mail notifications.)
Um, I lookked in Synaptic Package Manager for anything called "dconf" and it seems that dconf-cli, dconf-gsettings-backend, and dcnof-service are installed and dconf-tools and d conf-editor are available but not installed. Think I should install them?

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:37:34 am

wombat140 wrote:(Back to my old trickk of forgetting that this forum doesn't send e-mail notifications.)
Um, I lookked in Synaptic Package Manager for anything called "dconf" and it seems that dconf-cli, dconf-gsettings-backend, and dcnof-service are installed and dconf-tools and d conf-editor are available but not installed. Think I should install them?

Have to correct you there friend:

Notification.JPG

You forgot to check mark "Notify me when a reply is posted." :D

All you should do is right click desktop, select "Open terminal" and enter:

Code:
sudo apt install dconf-tools

this will put 'dConf Editor' in the menu sub folder of System Settings.