This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12.2 Ultimate 64

TziKei

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:44:41 pm

I would like to say hello before all since it's my first post on the forums.
So hello to everyone and I hope you are doing well. I tried Zorin in VMWare and with Live USB and indeed was a great choice for seeing Linux as a non advanced Windows user like me. The problem was that in both occassions the OS was almost unusable because of the performance that my computer was able to produce with these two methods. So when my Windows failed and I had to do a Windows installation I decided to leave a small partition of my SSD to dual-boot install Zorin to try it with its full potential. I always wanted to have a linux based os out of curiosity to see the capabilities it can have. Sorry for that long intro here is the issue:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I installed Zorin OS 12.2 with Windows 10 UEFI dual-boot and everything was fine, except one thing. I cannot install my graphics card drivers.
I have an AMD R7 250 (oc) installed on my system and there was not listed any proprietary drivers for the graphics card on the "Additional Drivers Software".
Also i tried to install the amdgpupro sh install with some of the instructions of the AMD site and the ubuntu forums resulting in an "Unsupported OS" message.
I have to say yes I have no idea what I am doing as of yet (in simple words I am a noob when it come to linux based operating systems) but I do not want to learn anything yet without having an actual usable resolution to explore the OS further and it is a bummer.
If you have any idea how to change the resolution to Full HD even without the drivers I would really appreciate it. (Also I have to say my monitor cannot use 1600x1200 or 1680x12xx which is the default highest resolution the card produces in the Windows and has given me a lot of trouble when I do a clean install before I can make a custom Full HD one)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An actual apology if I wasted your time. Thank you for any help you may provide and keep up the good work. :)

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:27:31 pm

Hi, and welcome! AMD stopped providing 'dedicated' drivers for GNU/Linux quite some time ago, now, in general, AMD/ATi drivers are bundled up in the kernel of GNU/Linux. Did you try Zorin in live mode before installing? Did it work o.k. with the default GNU/Linux driver? ;) :D

zorinantwerp

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:28:51 am

It is believed that AMD needed to replace the lead developer who maintained the linux driver after he took a much more lucrative job at HP :roll:

If you want to read more
Code:
https://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/amd64/ch02s03.html.en

+++

TziKei

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:16:18 pm

Btw an admin or mod needs to change the tile because I forgot to fill it.
Swarfendor437 wrote:AMD stopped providing 'dedicated' drivers for GNU/Linux quite some time ago, now, in general, AMD/ATi drivers are bundled up in the kernel of GNU/Linux. Did you try Zorin in live mode before installing? Did it work o.k. with the default GNU/Linux driver? ;) :D

It worked and works fine as a display but has no settings and I can only change between 800x600 and 1024x768 resolutions only.
And I guess something with the dpi because it is a bit "pixely" even considering the resolution.

Thanks for your replies so far.