This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

GUI Issue after reboot

technosamurai

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:46:58 pm

After a system reboot the custom Zorin GUI is no longer displayed. I'm now getting something that looks a lot like the Cinnamon interface. The only screen that looks normal is the login screen. I've provided a link to a screenshot below. Any ideas?

https://ibb.co/mTqCzc

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:15:26 pm

Hi, That is a screenshot of Zorin Lite, not Core. ;) :D

technosamurai

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:10:13 am

I'm aware of that; however, it is still an issue. Zorin appearance doesn't work anymore, and the OS no longer functions like it did before.

What would randomly cause me to lose the Zorin theme and switch to Cinnamon? See attached.

zorinantwerp

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:29:00 am

Hi, tastes differ. I use cinnamon desktop on Zorin OS ULtimate at my great satisfaction. no issues whatsoever.

well what would I do to return to my steps.

first and most important make a backup!
then
Code:
sudo apt-get remove cinnamon

Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove

and look it from there for complete removal if you want it

cross fingers :)

MBMz10

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:32:51 am

I have 2 machines with Zorin 12 Lite installed, recently one gave this message after an update via the Software Updater.
Partial Upgrade1.png

Do you remember seeing a message similar after an update?

Normally I just get below message.
Update1.png

I haven't yet run it (Partial Upgrade) but I suspect similar results if I do as I'm sure I've had something like this before with Zorin, IE loss of Zorin Themes.

zorinantwerp

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:47:51 am

tks yr reply but I must leave it to Swarfendor437 to come up with comments (on using the proper service) as I do not run the Lite OS. The message you are facing has never crossed my path :shock:

on themes the choices are plenty

on desktop backgrounds installing the program 'variety' gives great value

cheers

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:11:03 pm

I will have to install Zorin Lite in VM in Virtual Box but it could be some time as a lot on at present. ;) :D