This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Few issues and Questions

TraspyAble

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:44:59 pm

Hi there! Let me introduce myself. I am newbie user of ZorinOS (and his derivatives), I was a games developer working on OS that takes the biggest piece of pie but suddenly I decided to leave it behind and switch to something more secure, less rubbish, more like gold and here it is ! The best OS in my opinion so far and I love using it and spreading the word about it!

Anyway... I come up with few issues while messing around with things.
Messed up Gnome Shell desktop app folders view
If I open/expand folder it shows nothing while there are actually apps in that folder. It was working before I can tell but I am not able to locate where the issue is. Any help will be appreciated.

And I know it might not be good place to ask about it but like I said I am a newbie... :D
Is there any way to achieve "virtual resolutions" like for ex. I have two screens one next to another (1st - max: 1920x1080, 2nd - max: 1650x1050) I want to make 1st - 2560x1440 and 2nd - 1920x1440. On other OS with radeon driver it was possible, I wonder if there is a way to do it by using xrandr command? I tried it but I have no clue how to config that.

Thanks for any replies and help, really appreciated!

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:48:58 pm

Well, I don't use that particular 'Zorin Look' so in order to answer your own question, what had you been doing before it went wrong? What changes/installations did you make to the system? As for xrandr issues I would take a look at the Gnome Shell extension GUI for that:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... -monitors/

However I don't know if it supports multi-scaling?

Nearest I could find for your question on scaling was here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/393400/ ... ent-screen

Finston Pickle

Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:54:04 pm

I guess you knew what you were doing with Gnome shell - it's above my paygrade, so I don't mess with it.

Once you get your system working again - monitors.

You will need to find out what inputs your PC screen and monitor will accept.

If you are going to use mirroring, both monitors will be driven at the same resolution.

You will then have to decide which resolution you are going to use (some compromise here).

You will then have to see what xrandr is set up to give you and if necessary enable it to drive your preferred resolution (and set it to use it)

If you comb through my posting:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13594
hopefully you will be able to work out the detailed steps you will have to undertake - write it all down and follow it and "Bob's your Uncle"!

zorinantwerp

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:28:39 pm

Hi
on your first question I would try removing the gnome shell
open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T)
Code:
sudo apt-get remove gnome-shell

and re-install it again
Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

I am using the cinnamon Desktop Environment so cannot test

+++