This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Core 12.3 in Virtual Box stucked!

pcfan5

Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:49:47 pm

Hello, I cannot Run Zorin Core 12.3 in Virtual Box, I start running this virtual machine and after some tests, such as installing new software it gets stucked and I have to start it again

Configurations are :
Video memory: 128 Mb
Procesors : fist I set it in 1 , now it is set in 2.
Vdi HDD: It is a dinamic one created in 12 B although now it shows a size of 2.1 GB
Base Memory : 1879 MB

Is there any information I can provide you to solved this?

**I am running Live Zorin in this machine in order to work in the translation of the unofficial manul** I cannot install it right now since I need screen shoots of the live version.

MBMz10

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:49:50 am

I tested a few virtual machines, 1cpu 1879MB RAM default HDD of 8GB and 2cpu 4GB RAM 30GB HDD (about my normal VM specs) installed software etc in live mode without installing Zorin no problems! Only thing I noticed was it was slower with lower specs as to be expected. What software did you install to get stuck?

As a work around because you want it in 'Live Mode' perhaps you could just run it in live mode on your hardware rather than in a virtual machine?

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:18:27 pm

Hi, because your Zorin Lite is running you will effectively be splitting your base memory of 2 Gb (if I have read that correctly) and so it will freeze. Guess your memory is the issue and appreciate you will be unable to upgrade if the notebook is limited to a max of 2 Gb RAM. My rig only has 4 Gb RAM but manage to get Zorin 12.x running in VBox without any major issue apart from being a bit slow. ;) :D

pcfan5

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:02:50 pm

Hi guys thanks for your replies, I thought just like MBMz10 did, before reading this.
The software I was trying to install is "Users and Groups" (it doesn't under Core version and as I am about to change to this I though about trying it because it is necessary to set Virtual Box), but it isn't this one in particular, later I notice It is the same "software mannager" that gets stucked. I think I a.m setting my Virtual Box Wrongly.. I don know. LiveUSB from USB booting runs perfect

Regarding my memory I have 4 Gb total, VB only allows me 2 GB top

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:21:27 am

pcfan5 wrote: ...Regarding my memory I have 4 Gb total, VB only allows me 2 GB top

Thanks for clearing that up - yes, or your host system would die! ;) :D

pcfan5

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:30:14 am

;) what can I do to solve this issue? , will it be necesary to install zorin in the virtual machine disk ? if so , the disk is 8 GB dinamic, should I create a bigger one ?

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:41:26 am

Dynamic means it 'should' grow if needs be to a larger size, not just the initial 8 Gb limit set by VB. ;) :D

pcfan5

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:38:55 pm

Oh yes!! I forgot to turn of my brain before asking ;)