This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[soveld] cinnamon, unnecessary?

Angelo

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:25:50 pm

Hi, I'm not sure if some package I installed brought inside cinnamon or if it is present native in my zorin12. If not, could I cut it?

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:49:30 pm

Hi, Cinammon is a separate DE from ZorinOS 12.x - it does not use Cinammon by default, EVER! You must have installed it?

To remove it follow the guide here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/216857/ ... l-cinnamon

avoid the autoremove route as you could damage the installation - but I would also remove the PPA for Cinammon:

remove ppa.jpg

In the example given I have highlighted the Kodi ppa as I don't have Cinammon - then just click on remove. ;) :D

zorinantwerp

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:06:45 pm

hey hold on taking a rash decision. I'm using cinnamon as top notch desktop but must admit it is not ~yet~ part of Zorin Ultimate

:mrgreen:

Linx

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:15:06 pm

You can also pick your DE at the login screen, at one time I think I have 5 or 6 of them just for playing with.
I would switch back and forth based on what I was doing and what features I wanted/needed.

Angelo

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:16:04 am

I absolutely do not install nor use cinnamon no other DE, I like the silouette essential and clear of Gnome shell. Surely I don't touch anything in Zorin features except, at the beginning, just to play to camouflage Zorin with XP, download the icons set from //www.gnome-look.org/p/1215836/
Only the icons set, I like the Zorin theme.
Time after (last week) I look around in the various folders and see cinnamon, looking in activity monitor see one cinnamon daemon so my curiosity if this DE or part of it come with Zorin or something as softwares or games installed by me or my sons could brought it inside, and if it is not necessary cut it away.

Thanks for the given answers

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:46:54 am

Cinammon does NOT come with Zorin - somebody has been playing with your rig or some other app that might rely on Cinammon dependencies has sucked part of it in but without knowing the history of your installations I can't help further. ;) :D