This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problem installing to Dell Precision M6400 laptop!

ChiggyPapa

Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:08:22 am

Hi.
I've got a Dell Precision M6400 (can hold two hard drives in RAID).
I've got Zorin OS Ultimate Professional, 64-bit.
I've DL'd it 4-5 times using Firefox, checked the hash (exact match), and burned it at 1x-2x, and checked the images for errors. I've burned it to DVD over 12x times on different media. I've wiped my single hard drive totally blank and zeros, and I've tried to install the above over 20 times in the last 3 weeks, with no luck.
Always near the end it has some kind of fatal crash, "error in the installer".
I don't have any other laptops to check the image with.
Has anyone else described errors in installing Zorin 5 with a Dell Precision or laptop that could have two hard drives (I am only guessing this is what messes up the installer...)??? Again, I've only got one hard drive in the machine.
Also, all the other distros out there work totally fine with this laptop- I mean EVERYTHING.
Just Zorin doesn't seem to want to finish installing.

I just want to install it. It runs fine off the DVD. I need an OS though.
Any help on where to begin to get this to work on a standard main-stream laptop, or troubleshoot it, would be really helpful.
thanks!

Wolfman

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:50:57 am

Hi,

have you tried via USB stick??.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Regards Wolfman :D

dksix

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:08:27 pm

I'm having the same problem on a Latitude D630. I first get "nautilus" closed unexpectedly, later I get "GnoMenu.py", I've reported both and then go on through the install only to get to the end for an installer crash and shut down. It first happened trying to install 5.2 32 bit, after a couple times I thought maybe it was te disk but no. I tried my old disk with 5.0 core (which I've used without issue a few times but it does the same thing. I've reburnt both images on new disk-same results. Formated to NTFS then tried but still the same thing. I'm back to XP on my laptop and hating it.

dksix

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:28:38 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:
dksix wrote:I'm having the same problem on a Latitude D630. I first get "nautilus" closed unexpectedly, later I get "GnoMenu.py", I've reported both and then go on through the install only to get to the end for an installer crash and shut down. It first happened trying to install 5.2 32 bit, after a couple times I thought maybe it was te disk but no. I tried my old disk with 5.0 core (which I've used without issue a few times but it does the same thing. I've reburnt both images on new disk-same results. Formated to NTFS then tried but still the same thing. I'm back to XP on my laptop and hating it.

Did you check the integrity of the downloaded image via its md5 checksum? You need to download this free tool here if downloading to XP or other Windows OS - http://www.winmd5.com/ Then burn at slowest speed. I have had similar experiences but only while running live. If you want to see how to install manually, please check out my youtube video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRimk8-U ... plpp_video

I had used the disk before, without problems (the OS 5.0 core and lite versions). I finally got it installed and is running flawlessly. What I ended up doing was installing XP, doing all updates, installing all the Dell drivers (a 2 hour process downloading on my desktop and burning to DVD so I could install on my laptop through the DVD drive). When I installed XP, I parted my HD (80 gig) into a 30 gig partition and left the rest raw. Installing XP on the 30 gig partition formatted to FAT32. After XP was complete I went in with my OS 5.2 disk. I partitioned the balance of the HD into 2 sections 47 gig and 1.1 gig for a swap section. I was doing this while reading about how to part and label partitions ( the root, / and such is new to me and I can't remember exactly what I used. I took screen shots of the drive as it is now. I'll try to post them and maybe you can explain to me what it was that I got right this time.

Wolfman

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:26:45 am

Hi,

I cannot really comment on what you did but you should have 3 Linux partitions, 1 for "root" (/), 1 for swap and 1 for /home.

You should use the ext4 format for / (root) and /home. Swap will format itself!!.

dksix

Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49:09 pm

swarfendor437, I have no idea what those 2 1.1 gig SSD's are. I don't have anything other than the 1 80 gig SATA drive and the DVD drive on this computer. There was no USB drives plugged into it, the only thing I had extra attached to the machine was a wireless USB mouse. The system works fine, the only thing I've found that wasn't right was the desk top work spaces, I can't change from one to another. The laptop is running 5.2 and I'm using 5.0 core on the other machines I have Zorin on. I have read more about the hierarchy of drives in Linux, sort of have a better handle on it. I've installed Zorin 5.0 and 5.2 on 6 or 7 computers now and this is the only time I've had any problems. I'll learn a little more every time and maybe sometime I'll be able to help others.

Wolfman

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26:20 am

Hi,

try pressing Alt + F2 and then type "gconf-editor", a window will open and you should go to > apps > nautilus > preferences and look at the automount settings there!!.

Configuration Editor - preferences_003.png
Configuration Editor - preferences_003.png (137.24 KiB)

dksix

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:41:11 pm

Wolfman, I think mine looks the same as yours. Is it automount media that you're speaking of?

Wolfman

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:53:51 am

Hi,

I am indeed, does it work now??.

dksix

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:42:09 am

Nope, still doesn't work. The screen shot is the way it was when I pulled it up. I didn't change anything. Not a big deal, I'm just one of those people who like things to work. Thanks for your help, Wolfman.

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

I am indeed, does it work now??.