This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[resolved] Blank screen at a critical moment

Finston Pickle

Tue May 01, 2018 7:04:50 am

I was workng on (updating) an important document (unsaved) on my Zorin12 laptop when suddenly the screen went blank.

I recognised an imminent shutdown (I have had this happen before and had found a workaround).

I quickly closed the lid and the machine shut down - what version of shutdown I don't know, but not full power off.

On opening the lid, it did as before - a black screen with my username in a small box in the centre. I can't remember whether I had to click the username first but I found a box that I coud put my password into and clicked return.

Hey presto! back to my desktop with all applications closed - just like a power off restart.

Fortunately I was able to restore my document, but had lost all my updates.

What is going on here? - can't really be an overheat as I can get going again immediately.

Definately an undesirable feature, whatever it is.

Any way of turning it off??

Swarfendor437

Tue May 01, 2018 12:11:25 pm

Have you checked your Power Settings in Settings? ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Wed May 02, 2018 6:40:33 pm

Power settings all looking normal to me - under the "Suspend and power off" , I have "automatic suspend" set to "off", whatever that means .

I have suspend on lid closed selected - but I don't see that in power settings - where was that setting made from?

It's a good job I found the workaround for this problem - but it will be nice to get it sorted out

Swarfendor437

Wed May 02, 2018 10:10:34 pm

Finston Pickle

Thu May 03, 2018 7:00:22 pm

No mention in that thread of the Username coming up in a box. However, intrigued as to what "Plymouth" is - and what a "splash screen" is.

Also no mention of "my" workaround.

Still perplexed!! Thanks for your interest, Swarf.

Swarfendor437

Fri May 04, 2018 12:08:38 am

Plymouth is the app that runs the boot theme (glowing Z) and splash screen is the backdrop of the login screen.

Finston Pickle

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:23:01 pm

Another important document being worked on (saved fortunately, this time) then the black screen of death - time to shut the lid on my Zorin 12.3 Ultimate laptop.

On opening the lid, no box and invitation to enter my username - but I did notice a dropdow arrow (top RHS in white on a black screen), in a very small font, which gave me access to a shutdown icon.

Powered off and restarted - normally, as it turns out.

What is periodically kicking in here?? Any way to stop it? - it can't be an overheat as it runs fine on immediate restart.

zorinantwerp

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:18:36 pm

Hi
can you check your PM (new messages) please
tks

Finston Pickle

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:42:30 pm

Thanks for the update - over and out (for some time).