This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12.3 Won't Show USB or DVD Detection

Ronnigon

Thu May 10, 2018 5:36:03 am

So I'm using 12.3 Ultimate and when I connect a thumb drive or put in a DVD disk it's not showing that it detects anything. I go into Files and there's nothing there, either.

Wat do?

Also, I've got a perfect-running old Dell 1500n 4-in-1 laser printer/copier/fax/scanner machine and apparently since Dell is too snooty, nose-in-the-air high-falooting to be bothered with ever creating a Linux driver for this trusty printer, I've been having no end of problems getting this thing to print beyond just the as-is layout of the document. Does anyone know how to remedy this problem, other than buying a whole new superfluous 4-in-1, that is?

Swarfendor437

Thu May 10, 2018 12:13:31 pm

Hi Ronnigon, and welcome to the forum. As for the USB, I have not had issues apart from my stick that looks like a key on my keyfob with no spade protector gets fluff in it and I have to use a lense wipe for spectacles to poke it with before inserting, and sometimes only on rear USB port on rig. Have you tried launching 'Disks' to see if it is there and then 'mount' it?

As for the Dell printer I'm afraid that is just a Dell badge on the ill-fated brand (Lexmark) whose inkjet printers were cheaper than their chipped ink - that is why they are not GNU/Linux friendly. Basically, Dell bought out Lexmark and just put their Dell badge on the brand! My advice to you is to sell it and buy a Canon such as the TS-8151 - it does not have a fax and I assume your Dell being a 4-in-1 has a fax so you need to look for the canon equivalent - but the problem with those is they tend to use 'tri-colour' inks instead of individual colour inks. And to be on the safe side, look at a Canon that is a 4-in-one instead of a 3-in-one, put that model into the support page and check to see there is a (GNU/)Linux driver (scangear for scanning, and printer driver for printing).