This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Core 12.3 too slow in this machine

pcfan5

Fri May 18, 2018 2:24:54 pm

Hello guys, I am workin in the tranlation of the spanish manual and decide to install Zorin Core in my computer , to avoid the troubles that virtual box were giving me, however Zorin takes a lot of time to boot up and to shut dow. It also freezes (compeling to manualy reboot) when I tried to play a CD (this might be an issue regarding my CD/DVD device) but the system gets totaly stucked.

I am wondering if my compter is too old for Zorin Core?

this is my Desktop computer
Code:
CPU~Dual core Pentium E5300 (-MCP-) speed/max~1699/2603 MHz Kernel~4.13.0-41-generic x86_64 Up~27 min Mem~1085.8/3936.0MB HDD~570.1GB(37.2% used) Procs~188 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35

this is the disk partition

disco.png

and this is the things I unchecked from the "starting applications" (have read before some post in this forum, specialy "Wolf" usser sugestions)

inicio1.png

inicio2.png

inicio3.png

Swarfendor437

Fri May 18, 2018 7:37:25 pm

Looking at the spec it should handle it - I am unclear on your partitions - partly because my Spanish is non existent. ;)

pcfan5

Sat May 19, 2018 2:01:52 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Looking at the spec it should handle it - I am unclear on your partitions - partly because my Spanish is non existent. ;)

I am so sorry I didn't translate my partitions

"sistema de archivos " is "system files"

31 GB is "/"

235 GB is monted as "/home"

"area de intercambio " is "swap" 4 gb

1MB left at the beggining and at the end is for GPT purpose... However I am not sure if GPT is ok for my disk, my Bios is Bios (not UEFI)

Swarfendor437

Sat May 19, 2018 8:59:35 am

Hi, I would go with legacy boot. ;) :D

pcfan5

Sun May 20, 2018 3:45:01 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I would go with legacy boot. ;) :D

Hi thank you for your replay!. Do I select legacy in Bios?, I am sorry I don't understand quite well what you mean.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 20, 2018 3:44:56 pm

If there is no EFI or UEFI (Secure Boot) option in the BIOS you have a 'legacy' BIOS by default - use 'mbr'. ;) :D

pcfan5

Mon May 21, 2018 2:07:58 am

thanks ! I will do so, I was just reading about its differences. I am about to reinstall Zorin Lite, so I won't be able to say if this issue gets solved, since it is related to Core. ;)

Off topic:
I was reading about the way GPT saves information here , this is in spanish but I will translate: https://www.softzone.es/2016/03/25/mbr- ... es-discos/

"GPT creates several redundant copies a long the hard disk so in case of failure, problem or error, the partition table can be recovered from automatically from any of those copies"