This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Connecting to a Wireless Device

ajolson1964

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:26:27 pm

i have loaded the latest version of this software and want to connect to a wireless device. However I am not sure how to do this. Do I get a list of available connections then select one? I have a Verizon five spot that I want to connect to but just can’t seem to even find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wolfman

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:34:21 pm

Hi,

is your router also capable of Wireless or is it just a cable router??, you should have details about the device provider by your ISP. For wifi connections you will need the device ID (your routers ID which is normally at the back or on the bottom) and a Password for the wifi connection which should be in the same place as the router ID!!.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo

Regards Wolfman :D

ajolson1964

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:00:33 pm

Thanks all!!!! Because I installed the software on a new harddrive I just reinstalled an poof, I could see all avalible networks. Still haveing issues connecting to it but will tinker around with it a bit using the web sites provided above. Now that I am getting out of windows mode I am still struggling with the simplest of things like Installing firefox. I downloaded it and unzipped it but man I have not a clue how to execute it as Linux does not use exe to install things.
Guess I find myself smack dab in the miidle of a new learning curve.

ajolson1964

Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:56:42 pm

Ok I feel like an idiot, Just go to Software Center and typed in Firefox and poof clicked on install and the rest is history. Working great now. I have a long way to go to learn the new OS but I like what I see so far.

Wolfman

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:53:07 am

Hi,

you may also want to take a look at Synaptic as it is far quicker than the other software manager, the only drawback is; it is text only but very good!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:57:11 am