This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Resolved] NEWBIE SELF-INTRO

IanGraham

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:32:54 am

Good morning, Zorin world !
I am, I suppose, a refugee from Win 10. I have just acquired a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad, running Zorin, which initially I hope will be my online portal - email and online research. In the longer term, I may come to do more admin on here, but for the moment I'm retaining my trusty XP set-up on a desktop nearby.

So, this is day 1, and I've got this far, fairly painlessly. My first impressions are that Zorin is a generously and thoughtfully configured OS.
My main patch of discomfort at this stage is that I have no mental map of the overall directory of the laptop. I can use the various prompts and links from the start button, but I have no clear view of how the various screens and locations relate overall.
A first explanation, or a link to some sort of systemic diagram, would be much appreciated.
Sincerely
Ian Graham :)
Wales UK

zorinantwerp

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:32:03 pm

Welcome to linux Ian Graham,

a systematic diagram for doing what? I would suggest to find 'settings' in your menu and explore from there. the items software updater and software&updates are a fine way to get into linux. you might establish which version of Zorin you are running and when you are ready take a deep dive and install latest version

https://zorinos.com/download/

:)

IanGraham

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:33:07 pm

Thanks for your interest, zorinantwerp.

'a systematic diagram for doing what?' - well, like a map. A basis for understanding and visualisation. I'm used to running a large desktop in Windows, with multiple drives, and complex directories - most of which I had in my head, and a search utility bailed me out when I had a senior moment! At the moment I feel as one does getting to know a strange town - I can navigate in straight lines, but it takes time to understand the full network/layout.
The 'settings' link you remind me of is fine for getting to a place quickly, but it's a sort of teleporting - it says nothing about how all those 'locations' relate to each other. Nor does it relate directly, so far as I can see, to the 'other side' of the machine ie either the software, or the accumulating materials of use - documents, pictures whatever you're into.
I'm currently in 3.20.5 - 0unbuntu0.16.04.11 + Zorin1 - courtesy of the refurbisher I bought this Lenovo from. I'm already exploring additional utilities/applications through the 'Software' function and also online, but I don't at this stage have any sense I'm going to be bumping my head against the limits of what this set-up supports or allows any time soon. (Is there, by the way, a way to update or extend the range of what's offered in 'Software ?)

Thanks again for your reply
Ian G.

zorinantwerp

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:06:35 pm

you have discovered the 'file manager'? I have no 'map' for you but you may read on google about kernel, which not only encompasses the Central Processing Unit, memory and IPC but also has device drivers, system server calls and file system management.

your zorin1 reference is met with disbelief so check under the program Terminal
Code:
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-check-os-version-in-linux-command-line/

steep learning curve so patience is a virtue :)

IanGraham

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:43:35 pm

That long sequence I quoted earlier was painstakingly transcribed from somewhere on the system this morning ! However, Settings>Details now gives me 'Zorin OS 12.3 64-bit'.
I don't seem to have File Manager - nor does the Search facility (usually so quick and responsive) come up with anything. Maybe I shall need an upgrade sooner than I thought.......
'Kernel' - I have looked online (Google? you surprise me? I used searx this time, sometimes Duckduckgo): isn't pointing me at 'kernel' (mutatis mutandis) a bit like asking me (I'm sorry, I'll wash my hands when I've typed it) to understand Windows code ? I am (sorry again) relatively incurious about HOW the computer does what it does. But surely at (I guess) the first level down (ie behind or below what you actually see and do onscreen) there has to be a 'tree' structure ? I'm used to knowing that, and using it to find what I want.

Hope I don't come across as in any way 'anti' - at the end of day 1, I am delighted with my 'new' computer, and finding my choice to commit to Linux at least for communications entirely justified.
:-)
Ian G.

zorinantwerp

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:18:23 pm

Hi,
you might use youtube then?
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mycVSMyShk8

good luck in your search

+++

IanGraham

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:17:24 am