This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Suggestions on Linux books

ajolson1964

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:02:16 pm

I think it is time to buy a book on Linux and get to reading about this because I do like this OS. But there are many books out there a I would like to get any suggestions as to which one I should start out with. Take into account I am not a programmer, However, by trade I do work in SQL Server where I write code, queries, blah blah blah snd I do date back to DOS and have some familiarity with that, Also I took a C++ class in collage (oh so many years ago).
All this to mean I am familiar with computers and coding so I do know how to turn a computer on and basic consents on how everything works within one. I am just clueless to Linux and the many different platforms that are used to run it. Ubunto, Zorin........
What I am looking for is a good beginners guide that will understanding what Linux is all about and how to do most things both using a GUI and (from what I can tell) using Terminal. There seems to be quite a bit of coding efforts in Terminal and that can be a bit intimidating.

I was thinking of Ubuntu Linux Beginners Guide. Does anyone have a suggestion?

nid

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:17:42 pm

This may work for you as it does for me. When I want to buy any book on any subject, I would go to a book store. Then I would pick many different books on the same subject and read through them a little. Which book made the light bulb glowing in my head then that is THE book "I" would buy since it made me understand about the subject better. :mrgreen:

Just go to a book store pick many books about Linux, which one made you yell Eureka you'd take that one home with you.

ajolson1964

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:58:42 pm

That is great advice. Thanks

kairomatrix

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:10:44 am

Hi one alternatives to avoid buy linux books, [and save money] is to install [ QBITORRENT ] using the software center provided in the star menu. You will find not only books, can download music , documents and videos .... and practically any digital filest 100% free. note; configure the software first. This is fast and super easy to use.

Linx

Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:06:47 am

Comptia Linux+ Certification Guide
and
The Linux Bible