This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

kernel panic

vctech

Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:46:29 pm

Zorin kernel panic not syncing attempted to kill init exitcode 0x00000009

HP elite 8000 desktop
4GB RAM
Zorin OS 12.3
Single boot
Ethernet
Not a new install.
Been running quite a while, no issues
Basic install right from CD

Last night just ran software updater as I always do, but after required restart, got the error.
At first system boots to black screen square, but can see possibly blue edge of desktop?
If system is hard booted, it boots to the Zorin (Grub?) boot screen. Selecting the Zorin options allows me to select which kernel to boot from.

Booting to: 4.15.0-29 generic, results in same issue

Bootin to: 4.13.0-45, will boot and function normally

-see attached pic for disks.

I can post logs if you let me know which ones or what needs parsed that can be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any replies smart people :)

zorinantwerp

Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:32:22 pm

Hi,

not syncing means potential data loss and data corruption.
so wait for fix, use previous version
have checked my running kernel version which is working correctly,

+++

vctech

Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:41:05 pm

Thanks for the reply and info zorinantwerp!

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:57:20 pm

Out of curiosity, are your software update sources set to 'Main Server' instead of your Country/Locale Server? ;) :D

vctech

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:58:04 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Out of curiosity, are your software update sources set to 'Main Server' instead of your Country/Locale Server? ;) :D

No, it's set to 'Download from: Server for United States'

Thanks for the reply and/or any other thoughts you might have. :)

star treker

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:25:52 pm

SWARF:

I have been using the United States server by default, and so far it has been working out with no problems. Must it be set to Main Server for any particular reason? I remember you saying this in the very beginning, but I don't remember what the reason was when OS 12 was first released.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:43:29 am

star treker wrote:SWARF:

I have been using the United States server by default, and so far it has been working out with no problems. Must it be set to Main Server for any particular reason? I remember you saying this in the very beginning, but I don't remember what the reason was when OS 12 was first released.

There were some issues with certain packages - the advise also stems from previous experiences of distros based on Ubuntu using UK servers instead of Main (Ubuntu) Server - a US member found that (for them) the troublesome 'Google' lens that comes with Chrome/Firefox disappeared when getting Firefox from the Main Server. ;) :D