This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Desktop shortcuts

floatingshed

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:56:27 pm

I am rather struggling here.
All I want is a shortcut to an .xls file in my dropbox folder placed on the desktop. I use it daily and want quick access to it but I don't want to make a copy, it must be up to date in dropbox.
How do I do it? In windows it would be a simple right-click operation...
Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:26:10 pm

Hi, I don't use dropbox myself, I use Box. I don't know if the additional packages mentioned here in this article is the missing link and I can't find anything about shortcuts using the search engine 'DuckDuckGo':

https://www.linuxbabe.com/cloud-storage ... untu-16-04

floatingshed

Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:05:32 pm

I think talk of dropbox is clouding(!) the issue. I have an xls file in a folder. I want a shortcut to it, that I can click on the desktop, and have it launch in Libreoffice...

zorinantwerp

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:49:45 pm

Hi

Just a broad comment:
LibreOffice Calc is the most common alternative to Microsoft Excel on Linux systems. In the main, it is a very good replacement. However, it isn’t great with macros, and doesn’t usually print spreadsheets accurately.

+++

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:38:18 am

Hi, thanks to the op for clarity. So is this file on your machine or in the cloud? That is what I was thinking on my last post. ;)

UPDATE: Looks like it's an issue for Windows users too:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... a1da537f41

floatingshed

Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:02:59 pm

The file is local, but also duplicated in the cloud.
If I navigate to the dropbox folder inside my home folder I can double click the file and it launches perfectly in Libreoffice calc. I simply want a link to that file on the desktop to simplify and speed up access to it. The fact that dropbox is involved is irrelevant, I have other files that are not in dropbox that I would like to create shortcuts to, but don't know how.

Surely I'm not the only one who needs to open a file with its associated program quickly and easily from the desktop? It is standard practice in windows, I was under the impression that Zorin OS was a windows-like introduction to linux, so far I am not sure that is true... Somebody please restore my confidence.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:01:58 pm

I'm currently running Lite with the recent update to 12.4 so don't know if this is a coincidence but don't remember seeing this in the right-click context menu before:

Create Link.jpg

The only other proviso I must add is that I don't have MS Office installed on any GNU/Linux rig, just LibreOffice and default file save to .doc in Writer - I don't use spreadsheets very much.

Here is another route to create a link (the shift and control and drag did not work for me but not needed as in Context Menu now):

https://www.faqforge.com/linux/create-s ... lic-links/

zorinantwerp

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:57:14 pm

floatingshed wrote:Surely I'm not the only one who needs to open a file with its associated program quickly and easily from the desktop? It is standard practice in windows, I was under the impression that Zorin OS was a windows-like introduction to linux, so far I am not sure that is true... Somebody please restore my confidence.

as you said a windows like linux distribution, not a duplicate. if you want full windows functions perhaps you should use multiboot Windows/Linux.

my 2cents

floatingshed

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:09:26 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:
as you said a windows like linux distribution, not a duplicate. if you want full windows functions perhaps you should use multiboot Windows/Linux.

my 2cents

The post immediately above your rather curt dismissal of a new customer contains an image showing that what I am trying to do is possible. It also shows a sub-menu under "Send to..." which my installation lacks. 'Send to...' opens the default email program, there are no other options. Why?

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:03:34 pm

floatingshed wrote:
zorinantwerp wrote:

my 2cents

The post immediately above your rather curt dismissal of a new customer contains an image showing that what I am trying to do is possible. It also shows a sub-menu under "Send to..." which my installation lacks. 'Send to...' opens the default email program, there are no other options. Why?

I did state that I was running Zorin Lite which had just been updated to 12.4 - I don't have core installed at the moment as I am still trying to complete an 'unofficial manual' for LIte which has been delayed due to serious illness of a family member. Sorry I can't help any further at present.

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:31:55 pm

Decided to take the 'bull by the horns'! I have downloaded 12.4 Core and run in Virtual Box - on that last link I gave you as an alternative, it works:

Ctrl plus shift and drag for shortcut.jpg

Left Shift+ Left Ctrl+ Drag icon from Documents folder to Desktop and release - which is how I got the screenshot of the document shortcut. :D