This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] How do I mount this partition automatically?

pcfan5

Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:40:10 pm

Hello,I have a partition called "datos" (data in english) in there I have a folder called "archivos" (files , in english) where I save all my files, independetly from /Home, in fact my HDD partitions goes like this

Code:
sudo lsblk

sda      8:0    0 298,1G  0 disk
    ├─sda2   8:2    0    23G  0 part /
    ├─sda5   8:5    0     4G  0 part [SWAP]
    ├─sda3   8:3    0 271,1G  0 part /mnt/755bc4b6-9ba8-4b12-8bcc-0066b2a45f5b
    └─sda1   8:1    0     1M  0 part
    loop3    7:3    0    87M  1 loop /snap/core/5145

the partition "datos" is mounted in /mnt/755bc4b6-9ba8-4b12-8bcc-0066b2a45f5b, it doesn't mount at start, despite "mont at start is marked".

Here is a pic.

Captura de pantalla_2018-08-18_19-33-18.png
Captura de pantalla_2018-08-18_19-33-18.png (74.4 KiB)

How can I get it mounted automaticaly each time, I needed it like that. Thank you very much in advanced.

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:15:45 pm

It is switched off! That square with a circle is a 'switch' - slide it from left to right with your mouse. ;) :D

pcfan5

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:11:39 pm

Thank you very much. Regarding the square I have done so , to work with the options, whenever It is activated (on) , the results seems to be the same. Will try again

Update: by turning this on the device doesn't mount automatically, but leaving it the way it is in the picture above, it mounts but to have have real access I have to click over the icon (which is shown in my desktop). I need this device, which is taken as an external device, to be available from the start of the system. My virtual machine depends on a virtual hard disk which is in store in it.

zorinantwerp

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:11:27 pm

hi pcfan5

can you please watch this video first
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qwr3e7oPN0

Use the "Disks" app.
Load the Disks app (In System) and select the disk with the filesystem you want to mount on startup.
Then select the filesystem on that disk and click on the gears (for configuration).
Select "Edit Mount Options" from the popup menu.
On the setup options, click to check the "Mount on Startup" box. (This will add the entry to fstab when you click on "OK").
Reboot, and your filesystem should be available.

cheers

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:55:20 pm

OK, just to add, I have a number of powered external drives which I leave connected to the powerblock (if not on a powerblock, then into an electric switched socket, turn the hard drive on if it has a separate on/off switch and connect to USB Port - when you make the USB connection it will be a few seconds but then it will automount. Here are the settings for my 2 TB Buffalo drive:

Mount.jpg

Always remember to use disks when switching off a powered external hard drive by using the 'power-off' button - it will then be safe to remove the USB cable from the port in the computer - but make sure any LED on the external drive is off. ;) :D

pcfan5

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:01:23 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:hi pcfan5

can you please watch this video first
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qwr3e7oPN0

Use the "Disks" app.
Load the Disks app (In System) and select the disk with the filesystem you want to mount on startup.
Then select the filesystem on that disk and click on the gears (for configuration).
Select "Edit Mount Options" from the popup menu.
On the setup options, click to check the "Mount on Startup" box. (This will add the entry to fstab when you click on "OK").
Reboot, and your filesystem should be available.

cheers

Thank you for the video, it is good! that is what I have been doing , the unit (which is not an external unit swarf ;) ) it is already mounted at startup in /mnt/755bc4b6-9ba8-4b12-8bcc-0066b2a45f5b

I should try to mount it in /media, perhaps?. Anyway, maybe my question wasn't well made. Because as it is already mounted the problem is I don' have inmediatly access to it, from virtualbox , which virtual disks is located in that partition.

UPDATE: I solved this issue by mounting in /media/<username>/Datos. Now I have inmediately access. Should I turn the switch from Disk off?

zorinantwerp

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:46:11 pm

Hi pcfan5

nice to see the issue solved. What works don't alter :)

pcfan5

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:29:21 am

Should I turn the switch from Disk off? ?

Ps: I will open another topic regarding this partition, to avoid mixing things. However , if you consider please unify. Regards ;)