This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Repo Nvidia Driver out of date / can't install newest.

botcrusher

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:35:09 am

Hello! It's been a long time since I've been on here, and I've been diving back into Zorin with 12.4.

With SteamVR Having Linux support now, I wanted to try it out, except it kept crashing.

So i looked around, and behold, the "lastest" driver as far as Zorin is concerned is too old to work with Steam VR.

I grabbed the latest driver from their website, but no dice. I cant get a stable display output on anything other than the fallback or recommended driver.

Any ideas on how to proceed? I can rescue myself out of the bad driver installation, so that much I don't really need help with. I'm just not sure how to move forward with getting driver 387 or newer.

EDIT:

Good news! I figured it out, there was a hook into the OS that wasn't removed when I removed the recommended driver.

When i subsequently cleaned it out, Nvidia driver 390 started working flawlessly, so now I've got SteamVR working flawlessly on Zorin.

botcrusher

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:43:16 pm

Contrary to my edit, I've discovered a slight issue. I can only get to the desktop if i boot into recovery mode, and then tell it to resume booting. I just get a flickering screen if i let it boot normally...

Oops. Any suggestions?

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:20:23 pm

Boot into recovery mode. Drop to root prompt then enter:

Code:
sudo purge nvidia

Then shut down and reboot.

botcrusher

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56:02 am

No dice.
I already removed
Code:
nvidia
while trying on my own. running
Code:
apt purge nvidia
as root just yielded package not found.
driver-390 *should* be the only nvidia driver left on the system.

When i boot into recovery, resume boot, and get into the desktop, the OS confirms i'm using driver 390 under "Additional Drivers"
Still won't let me boot normally though.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:38:40 pm

Follow the advice here apart from "Ubuntu-desktop" - you don't want to lose Zorin! ;)