This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Power 'button' no longer working

IanGraham

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:32:33 am

Some weeks into my Linux experience......I have been in the routine of powering down at some stage each evening (Zorin button>3 radio buttons at bottom right> leftmost of those three). But for several days the button has produced no response whatever.
I have been prompted in these weeks to download and install various updates . Could something there have affected this?
Is there a command prompt command/line that will perform the same function?

Any advice much appreciated.
:?
Ian G
Wales UK

zorinantwerp

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:39:32 pm

Hi
look for the wi-fi icon on your taskbar and click on it
you should see a pop-up screen with 3 icons
click on the far right to power down your laptop

I bet it works :)

let us know will you

+++

IanGraham

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:18:03 pm

I'm afraid it doesn't.....
I don't know if it is relevant that the Ctrl+Alt+Del combo no longer produces any effect either.
Or that when I use the 'Lock' option as a sort of alternative, the lock screen tells me that in Files there are 2 'notifications' which I can't find; or that in the search, via 'Other Locations', I notice that both 'Lost and Found' and 'Root' have red crosses by them..........

In general use, there are no ill effects - but it looks as if something has been nudged out of kilter.

Ian G.

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:27:14 pm

Can you please boot into recovery mode - if this is the only OS you will need to press the left shift key at boot time to see GRUB. Please be sure to be connected via ethernet to your router to ensure internet connection. Run DPKG from the menu offered in recovery mode, and if any packages missing get installed, let it do that but then shut down. Also ensure that your software updates come from 'Main Server' and not the UK Repository. ;) :D

IanGraham

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:53:19 am

Thanks for that, Swarfendorf - noted.
But I think I have stumbled on the answer to my main question.

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-h ... ns.html.en mentioned {Super+M} as bringing up the Notifications, which I tried, and found it worked. And then, of course, they could be cleared.

Having done that, I found the power ‘buttons’ worked again.

I’d still be interested to know if there is a prompt screen command for shutdown, and if so, to see whether the apparent link of uncleared notifications to non-function applies there, or is just a feature of the GUI.

Ian G.

zorinantwerp

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:15:47 am

Hi

thanks your clarification.
there is something like a 'kernel level reboot' key combination. you don't wanna do that.

+++