This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Sound Muted on Startup Help

humanpoweredd

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:39:18 pm

Hello,

I have installed Zorin OS for the first time this month on an old Asus EeePC laptop and every time I boot up the computer the sound is muted. I can unmute it in alsamixer through terminal. I save the settings through "alsactl store", but on reboot, it is still muted. I've tried several different solutions that I've found on the web for Ubuntu 16.04, but to date, nothing has worked. My proficiency with Linux is at beginners level as I haven't had the time to learn it, unfortunately.

Has anyone has a similar problem? And if so, solved it? Or does anyone have ideas on how to approach this?

Thanks!

zorinantwerp

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:39:31 pm

Hi

the 'search' engine is a great tool to trace similar questions :)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13786&p=61636&hilit=sound+on+startup#p61636

+++

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:33:58 pm

Are you running Lite or Core? eeePc netbooks (not notebook!) are very underpowered to begin with. If Lite is an issue may want to consider:

Antix 17:

download/file.php?id=5899&mode=view

runs in 256 Mb RAM and does not suffer from PAE (Physical Address Extensions).

humanpoweredd

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:23:58 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi

the 'search' engine is a great tool to trace similar questions :)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13786&p=61636&hilit=sound+on+startup#p61636

+++

Not quite what I'm looking for. I have looked through google and through the search engine on this forum, but haven't come across this problem and solution. My problem is that when I boot the laptop the sound is muted for everything - so when I open youtube or try to play music there is no sound. However, after I go into alsamixer and manually un-mute speakers, the sounds plays perfectly. Normally, I wouln't mind doing this every time (although not ideal), but my parents use this laptop for basic browsing / watching movies and it's beyond their understanding.

Appreciate the help!

zorinantwerp

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:20:45 pm

Hi

ok goto menu/software
under 'all' search for alsa and install
pls check out if this will solve your issue

+++

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:30:58 pm

Check this and see if it works for you:

https://itsfoss.com/fix-sound-ubuntu-1304-quick-tip/

humanpoweredd

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:40:46 am

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi

ok goto menu/software
under 'all' search for alsa and install
pls check out if this will solve your issue

+++

already installed

humanpoweredd

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:41:51 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Check this and see if it works for you:

https://itsfoss.com/fix-sound-ubuntu-1304-quick-tip/

The second alternative method worked, except that I had to RUN = no to RUN = yes.. but nonetheless success

EDIT:

Actually the volume stay at the last changed setting, but the speaker still gets muted with restart. So partially fixed.