This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

touchpad does not disable while typing

danans

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:53:56 am

Dear community,

I've just installed Zorin lite 12.4 on my Dell Inspiron E5550. It's running fine, except that my touchpad does not de-activate when I'm typing. I've checked the "Disable touchpad while typing" box in Settings>Mouse and Touchpad and tried setting the duration from 0.4 to 0.8 seconds, without avail. Whatever the setting, the touchpad still stays on, which hinders my writing to the point I'm considering moving to another distro.

Can anyone tell me what to try?

Many thanks!

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:24:55 pm

Finston Pickle

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:01:28 pm

Hi, Swarf,

Did you mean the posting under the heading "Xfce/Xubuntu solution"?

I've never been able to de-activate the touchpad when I'm typing - and it has been a major pain.

Worse still, I do not even have the "Disable touchpad while typing" box in Settings>Mouse and Touchpad!

Perhaps ZorinAntwerp can give a master class in how he managed to disable the touchpad while typing that we ordinary users can follow.

danans

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:09:51 pm

Hello Swarf and Finston,

that's exactly what I'm getting at Finston, thanks for your input. There's no use in having or creating an on/off switch for the touchpad, you'd just end up flicking it on and off each time you need to type something or move the mouse pointer, so basically all the time, which would be unworkable.

I have the "disable while typing" box in my settings and it's annoying it doesn't do what it says when ticked...

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:21:45 pm

Yes Finston I was pointing to the 'elegant' solution. From what I have gleaned it could well be an xfce bug so jumping distros may not help any - Is there any reason why you can't run Core on your rig Danans? ;)

zorinantwerp

Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:25:28 pm

Hi

the happy return of Finston :o

doe not expect to have all features on a 'lite' version. my advice is to upgrade your OS :)

+++

Finston Pickle

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:46:43 pm

Hi Zorinantwerp,

I am running the Zorin 12.4 Ultimate set up - fully up to date.

However, I do not get the Mouse and touchpad screen that you do.

I get:

Screenshot from 2018-09-17 19-41-19.jpg

Any suggestions?

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:22:18 pm

Finston, if you remember, zorinantwerp had an additional package he installed. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:25:31 pm

Hi Swarf, yes I remember Zorinantwerp's system was not totally standard.

Is that package, or similar, available to a standard Zorin 12.4 Ultimate user I wonder? It would be great if it could be.

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:12:22 pm

No it wouldn't because then Accessibility goes out the window:

Mouse and Touchpad_001.png

You need to install Cinnamon DE - then you get that package. ;) :D

[Posted from my FerenOS install]

Finston Pickle

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:48:38 pm

Thanks, Swarf.

Just to understand - what accessibility features would be lost?

danans

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:22:57 pm

Hello guys,
the latest version of Zorin Core does not offer the touchpad disable while typing feature at all, which I discovered after having lost time downloading and installing the OS... Swarfendor I know you meant to help but that was some poor advice. By the way you might want to know that the initial problem I had with the touchpad disable while typing button not working in Zorin Lite is probably not related to XFCE as suggested. I tried XFCE-fronted Xubuntu 18.04, which has that button, and it works...
Anyhow, I'm now with Kubuntu 18.04 and everything is ship shape.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:56:46 pm

danans wrote:Hello guys,
the latest version of Zorin Core does not offer the touchpad disable while typing feature at all, which I discovered after having lost time downloading and installing the OS... Swarfendor I know you meant to help but that was some poor advice. By the way you might want to know that the initial problem I had with the touchpad disable while typing button not working in Zorin Lite is probably not related to XFCE as suggested. I tried XFCE-fronted Xubuntu 18.04, which has that button, and it works...
Anyhow, I'm now with Kubuntu 18.04 and everything is ship shape.

Hi danans,

Well hope to see you back in late Fall as the next major release of Zorin will be based on 18.04. You could have installed Cinnamon DE and started your session in Zorin Lite with that (which is what I do from time to time). ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:01:55 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:Thanks, Swarf.

Just to understand - what accessibility features would be lost?

In Cinnamon DE, the screen reader will work with apps but not with the 'Clutter' menu that gets bundled with Cinnamon - same as Zorin in earlier iterations that used the AWN Panel, the only menu that worked with Orca (Gnome Screen Reader) was YAMA (Yet Another Menu Application) which had a Win2k style look about it (List). ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:05:18 pm

Thanks swarf - Still a bit wobbly on this, but can accept that "touchpad disable while typing" is not possible with Zorin12.4 Ultimate.

Will Zorin12.5 Ultimate be based on 18.04 and have this "touchpad disable while typing" feature in late fall? I hope so.

zorinantwerp

Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:34:27 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:Will Zorin12.5 Ultimate be based on 18.04 and have this "touchpad disable while typing" feature in late fall? I hope so.

no Zorin 12.5 anymore. the start of a new cycle to come soon. one item more to attend in beta testing :)

rgds