This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dell Inspiron 1122 Radeon HD6250 drivers

daveomania

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:34:51 am

I am quite new to Linux, and need some guidance on getting the drivers installed for my graphics with Zorin OS Lite.

The graphics chip shows up under VGA as AMD Radeon HD 6250, but I suspect the drivers aren't correct since video playback is choppy, or freezes all together in Chrome and Firefox (Example, Netflix, or YouTube).

As a comparison, I had Windows 10 Pro x64 installed prior to Zorin OS Lite, and playback was smooth since the load was taken off of the CPU.

When I attempt to use the .deb provided by the AMD's website, the software installer hangs up and never recovers.

Other than that I am not sure exactly how to install the correct drivers.

My apologies if I need to post this in a different sub forum, I will move it if need be.

I appreciate any help you can give me!

zorinantwerp

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:10:14 am

Hi

AMD's has a reputation for ditching support for even slightly older cards on Linux.

so let's try something different. source is an untrusted ppa.
goto Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) and insert (one line at the time)
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt-get update

if it does not work remove
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
$ sudo ppa-purge ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

plse report outcome

daveomania

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:32:07 am

Thank you for the quick response!

I added the repo and updated from it, and it ended with this error:

"W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net/i-nex-developm ... ble/ubuntu xenial InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 431D3C83F34CDDAD
W: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/i-nex-development-team/stable/ubuntu xenial InRelease' is not signed.
N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details."

I'm not sure if this is a problem.

What would be considered a way to verify that the drivers are installed?

And also, how would I go about finding such repositories in the future? I have been googling solutions for my issue and haven't come across such a repo mentioned in any threads.

zorinantwerp

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:18:59 pm

Hi

in reply
goto menu/settings/details

goto Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) and insert
Code:
sudo lshw -c display

++

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:05:16 pm

I would stick with the kernel install as AMD drivers are part of the kernel and no longer separate (officially). Have you tried pressing the E key at startup and adding the following commands to the bootparameter?:

Code:
xforcevesa nomodeset

daveomania

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:28:26 am

Zorinantwerp - I am running Zorin OS Lite, and I dont see this option in the settings "menu/settings/details". There is no "details" option.

After running your steps, It does seem like the GPU is running, but there is still a heavy load on the CPU during video playback. This machine was capable of running HD video with no issues under Windows 10 Pro.

Swarfendor437 wrote:I would stick with the kernel install as AMD drivers are part of the kernel and no longer separate (officially). Have you tried pressing the E key at startup and adding the following commands to the bootparameter?:

Code:
xforcevesa nomodeset

I am not sure how to access the boot params using the E key, but I will give it a go.

To clarify though, the drivers that installed with the kernel didn't appear to be working at all. The CPU was at full load during video playback and videos were freezing, or tearing at best.

Thanks for the help!

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:05:15 pm

Hi daveomania,

To access the boot parameters you will need to quickly press the left shift key when you see the blue/grey border appear before the glowing Z to access GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) - then you should see three options at the bottom with the 'E' key being the clue to 'Edit' the boot parameter - maker sure you leave a space at the end of the shown line then add those two commands. ;) :D

daveomania

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:49:29 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi daveomania,

To access the boot parameters you will need to quickly press the left shift key when you see the blue/grey border appear before the glowing Z to access GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) - then you should see three options at the bottom with the 'E' key being the clue to 'Edit' the boot parameter - maker sure you leave a space at the end of the shown line then add those two commands. ;) :D

I found that menu and will add that command and post an update.

However, something strange has happened since inputting the commands from Zorinantwerp, and my trackpad and trackpad buttons are not longer working.

It's quite difficult to navigate around the OS with no trackpad. I may need to clean install.

daveomania

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:53:58 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi daveomania,

Ok, after several reboots, the trackpad is functioning again.. I'm not sure what that was about.

However, the commands you suggested I add simply gave me a message of "No command found 'xforcevesa'

zorinantwerp

Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:27:53 pm

Hi

this is what I found. don't know what to think of but it allows to download a zip file.
Code:
https://d2.driverscollection.com/-458634034652f1e904b6ab36f37/_7_14192142192242292342a0218103f1f1b005df082aeee7ccd0c/55795b23c0ebf13ba5aa1af40eb0510fd764a76ab9feb4ec4de6f04c00d2951dfe72d6cbf9eda23903c6b43d730d77aa5ba90eab/3/15/1/1389800105/amd-catalyst-13.12-linux-x86.x86_64.zip

++

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:32:50 pm

Have you looked here?:

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articl ... Notes.aspx

To find out your version in Lite open a terminal and enter:

Code:
cat/ etc/*release

Terminal.jpg

daveomania

Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:04:24 am

Apologies for the delayed reply.

I am waiting on a new SSD to arrive in the post and I will reinstall Zorin OS Lite once it does.

I still don't have positive results using the kernel drivers or the drivers suggested in this thread. It's unfortunate because I would like to use Zorin on this machine, but the HD6250 is functioning perfectly with Windows 10, so I may be forced to revert back to that.

I will post an update once I've got Zorin on to the new SSD.

Thanks.

zorinantwerp

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:30:30 pm

Hi daveomania

tks for keeping us advised :)
+++