This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Realtek RTL8723BS WiFi/Bluetooth combo not supported?

Katta

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:15:13 pm

Hey everyone,

I am new to Linux and currently having issues in installing Zorin Lite Ultimate. I described my problems in installing Zorin Lite Ultimate and especially Grub in another post.
However, one other big problem is that I won't manage to set up a working wifi connection as an appropriate driver seems missing, and the system doesn't have LAN. Means so far I am only able to get files from the internet to the system via the use of an USB stick.

My System
It's an exotic iRulu W1101 and it is a bit special:
- 32 Bit UEFI
- 64 Bit Processor (Intel Atom Z3735F @ 1,33 GHz, x64 based)
- UEFI version: InsydeH2O Version Walk.WI102.JEBNECA02
- 2GB Ram
- 29GB free disk space on a main disk that is identified as „MMC NCard“ by the Zorin install routine
- Pre-Installed was a 32 Bit Windows 10 Home
- Zorin-Installation from USB drive as single OS (no parallel Windows intended)

Wifi Hardware
Wifi hardware seems to be a Realtek RTL8723BS WiFi/Bluetooth combo. I found a windows .INF driver on the web that should be for this module, and it is accepted on installation, but won’t work – the system says “Hardware present: No” after installation. Other drivers from other web sites were not accepted/installable even if some claimed to be suitable for this hardware.
Does anyone have ideas how to get this working? I am a total newbie to Linux systems so please be kind and explain in little steps and detailed commands, if.
Thank you!!

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:55:41 pm

See if changing BIOS settings resolves the issue:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/760970/ ... kernel-4-4

Katta

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:24:09 pm

Hey again :-)
Thanks for this - indeed I have been to that website already... However, secure boot is turned off, and they have no alternative solution on this site :cry:

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:34:24 am

There could be an answer here:

http://forum.x86pad.com/t/ubuntu-16-04- ... wifi/744/2

which uses the same chipset. What I found alarming was the manufacturer threatening legal action against the forum if it offered step-by-step solution to the issue! :o