This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installation stuck at: executing grub-install dev/sdb2

Axel7

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:55:04 am

Hi, I have a problem when I install Zorin 12 Ultimate or Core, the installation stuck at: executing grub-install dev/sdb2
Thanks for the help.

PC configuration:
HP Probook x360 11
CPU: Intel N3450
Internal SSD: 128GB
External HDD: 640GB (I install Zorin on the external hdd)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 500
RAM: 4GB

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:34:53 am

Axel7

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:42:45 pm

Hi and thanks for the answer, but this is not my problem.
I can't install Zorin on this computer (even with another HDD), I think the problem is the PC, the HP Bios seems like modified to work only with Micro$oft Window$ 10. I tried Window$ 8.1 but the CPU is not compatible, only W10 will work. I'm currently testing if Deepin will work. If it doesn't work, I will try Ubuntu 18.10. If it doesn't work, I will stay with Window$ 10... :/

PS: I installed with another PC zorin on the external HDD, the installation was done, and I connected the HDD to the HP PC, but the PC wouldn't boot to Zorin. I had Grub Minimal bash, something like that.

zorinantwerp

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:56:03 pm

Hi

If the bios setting is legacy enabled then hard drives and USB devices will normally boot.

If you are using two independent hard drives that are not connected by boot manager then the UEFI boot hard drive will always boot first before the legacy hard drive unless the bios allows you to change the boot priority.
If the bios setting is legacy disabled then only UEFI devices will boot. You may run into no hard drive selection menu, no boot option menu or Boot Device not Found followed by a message Hard Disk.

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23&v=4jGQl6SeS2o&ab_channel=MSFTWebCast

Code:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/How-to-install-Ubuntu-alongside-Windows-10/td-p/6015374

don't give up that easy pal :)

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:14:02 pm

Also, just to add you should disable quick boot in the BIOS and within Windows 10 Control Panel, go to the Advanced power Settings that you can't normally access (Advanced) and turn off any standby settings which keeps the hard drive in sleep mode, so even turning on legacy mode won't stop it from booting into Windows. I would advise you install it on a desktop with no hard drive and place GRUB on the external drive and then install EASYBCD from NeoSmart Technology in Windows which automatically backs up the GPT boot sector. You should be able to make Zorin EFI compliant, but you will need to create GPT for GRUB on external drive.

Axel7

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:25:51 pm

Thanks for answers, I searched in few forums, and my HP PC is modified to work only on W10, I don't have Legacy options in the BIOS, my BIOS is configured to boot on the external HDD. I found this: if I want to install GNU-Linux on th HP Probook x360, I should to update a customized bios for my model, but I didn't fount it. :/

I think, I will just stay with W10, because it's too difficult to install Zorin on this computer. (I will however try the solution by @Swarfendor437)
Thanks for the help! :)

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:20:00 pm

Axel7 wrote:Thanks for answers, I searched in few forums, and my HP PC is modified to work only on W10, I don't have Legacy options in the BIOS, my BIOS is configured to boot on the external HDD. I found this: if I want to install GNU-Linux on th HP Probook x360, I should to update a customized bios for my model, but I didn't fount it. :/

I think, I will just stay with W10, because it's too difficult to install Zorin on this computer. (I will however try the solution by @Swarfendor437)
Thanks for the help! :)

Interesting posts on this thread:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/682938/ ... ilion-x360

which states pressing F9 during boot to get to Ubuntu (Zorin in your case). ;) :D

Axel7

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:32:43 pm

I will try that thx :)