This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Kernel Panic Not Syncing VFS Unable To Mount Root FS

star treker

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:44:12 am

Here we go again, cause its not like we can have a Linux OS just run perfect for months without a inability to boot the computer up and ruin our whole day.

I may have gotten a kernal panic before 2-years ago with Zorin. But I probably didn't find a post online that let me know that I could enter GRUB and switch to an older kernal to get me back up and going, and I just re-installed Zorin then. My computer froze up in game so I was forced to restart, Upon restarting, I got that error message with an inability to boot.

I went to one kernal version back and I was able to boot. What should I do SWARF? Is there some cleaning precedure I should do, some kind of update precedure? For now, I am going to run the (sudo apt-get autoremove) command in terminal to get rid of unneeded kernals. So far the system seems stable under older kernal, hopefully that continues.

UPDATE: OK, when I went to run (Sudo APT-GET Autoremove) it gave me a new message I never seen, where it told me that a fix was needed and that I needed to run (sudo dpkg --configure -a) So I ran that, took awhile! And then I was able to get (sudo apt-get autoremove) to run. I am not sure if I have fixed everything or not, but thats what I have done so far. ;)

PS: This might not be a big deal for some. But for someone like me, when my computer doesn't boot, its like the sky is falling, and is a true nightmare for me. Its basically the equivalent of a guy flushing a toilet, but it won't flush, and the water keeps coming up, and you know whats coming, and sewage is all over the bathroom floor. :shock:

zorinantwerp

Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:26:59 am

please read:
Code:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/898449/kernel-panic-and-unable-to-boot-ubuntu-16-04-after-updating

I use Ubuntu Kernel Update Utility (Uuku) which should be visible in 'startup applications'
It never lets me down if used with focus :)
+++

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:00:14 am

star treker wrote:Here we go again, cause its not like we can have a Linux OS just run perfect for months without a inability to boot the computer up and ruin our whole day.

I may have gotten a kernal panic before 2-years ago with Zorin. But I probably didn't find a post online that let me know that I could enter GRUB and switch to an older kernal to get me back up and going, and I just re-installed Zorin then. My computer froze up in game so I was forced to restart, Upon restarting, I got that error message with an inability to boot.

I went to one kernal version back and I was able to boot. What should I do SWARF? Is there some cleaning precedure I should do, some kind of update precedure? For now, I am going to run the (sudo apt-get autoremove) command in terminal to get rid of unneeded kernals. So far the system seems stable under older kernal, hopefully that continues.

UPDATE: OK, when I went to run (Sudo APT-GET Autoremove) it gave me a new message I never seen, where it told me that a fix was needed and that I needed to run (sudo dpkg --configure -a) So I ran that, took awhile! And then I was able to get (sudo apt-get autoremove) to run. I am not sure if I have fixed everything or not, but thats what I have done so far. ;)

PS: This might not be a big deal for some. But for someone like me, when my computer doesn't boot, its like the sky is falling, and is a true nightmare for me. Its basically the equivalent of a guy flushing a toilet, but it won't flush, and the water keeps coming up, and you know whats coming, and sewage is all over the bathroom floor. :shock:

Don't put too much loo paper down the toilet then! :lol:
I'm having an issue with my rig at present, nothing to do with Zorin! I did report a while back that there was an issue with a particular kernel that screwed up some notebook at work:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14004

Managed to get it resolved by earlier kernel boot and not sure if kernel was reinstalled or the next iteration came - you can tell when it is going south when the text in GRUB goes super small - well that is what happened with the issue above. It is also to do with age of hardware I think.

My issue is every time I boot I get "chassis intrusion" message - updated BIOS - no change. Cleared CMOS - no change. So in a couple of weeks time - hopefully my sig will change to:

ASUS X470 PRO, Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core 16 thread 16 Mb Cache, 16 Gb 3000 MHz RAM - same Graphics Card, Same PSU, Same case. ;) :D

star treker

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:42:40 am

Hi Swarf! :)

That is exactly the same thing I went through too! I did the same as you did, going back one kernal version. Maybe when the next iteration comes out, things will upgrade properly. Yes, I am on a notebook as well as you might recall, an Acer Aspire V3-71 I think the model number is. One thing I've learned is that Linux doesn't play particularly well with multiple GPU's. The last time I was on Zorin, I wasn't able to use a proprietary driver without destroying the OS. But when I came back to Zorin, I was able to install it and utilize the GPU.

The only real problems I've had with Zorin thus far, is that boot partition getting filled to where I had to use that command to clean it out so I can do updates. And now this new latest occurance, the VFS deal. Some say that this can also happen when you've had a bad update. That is indeed possible, guess I'll never really know for sure in this case. But as you say, if the next iteration comes out for the kernal and it gets updated without issues, I'll be happy with that too.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:48:04 pm

Hi star treker,

An IT bod once told me, regardless of the different manufacturers of Notebooks, they are basically one of two global designs with different badges on. I think the big issue with Notebooks was the introduction of hybrid graphics (Intel/nVidia Mobile hybrids). And let's face it, hardware by main brands is built to run Windows on - M$ don't want people to have freedom of choice - that's why they donated money a few years ago to a right-wing political organisation that paid for a Software Engineer to look for Linus Torvalds using Unix code in Linux - when the engineer reported there was no evidence, the engineer was sent away with a flea in their ear and "...to look again." ;) :evil: