This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Solved] adding m4a support to soundconverter!

ImpWarfare

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:09:36 pm

Hi,

I've posted this on the ubuntuforums.org site when I had the Ubuntu system installed link: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2404956 for further details. Basically I've been trying to get m4a support onto SoundConverter for awhile now when I used Arch Linux it detected m4a (AAC) format when fdkaac was installed and so had Asunder CD Ripper but on Ubuntu 18.04 and below it doesn't have m4a for Asunder nor SoundConverter but 18.10 on Asunder had added support for m4a in a later version with the fdkaac installed but soundconverter still doesn't detect aac m4a nor does the option show up as convertable and doesn't appear at all someone on the ubuntuforums.org site stated try and use this:

Code:
gst-inspect-1.0 fdkaac

But that shows only:

Code:
No such element or plugin 'fdkaac'

The person had stated that on Debian it required a third-party plugin but they haven't elaberated on this nor how they received this component and didn't go into further detail. Could I have some help with this? So that soundconverter can convert in m4a format? I hope I can get better support here than on the Ubuntu Forums since people over here and the staff seem to be a lot more friendly than them and so far it seems people are ignoring the post which in my view is quite rude someone must be bound to know the actual answer for this.

zorinantwerp

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:13:48 pm

hi, installed different progs similar to 'sound converter' but the results were a fail. checking further!
did some 'on line tests' which work:
Code:
https://www.online-convert.com/result/8a80534d-147b-4779-bcc1-c0ebc4bd8d58

starting from mp3 file 7.7 MB into
oog 4.8 MB
m4a 37.8 MB

am I correct you want to rip cd's?

rgds

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:03:40 am

I haven't tried this but it may be of use to you:

https://www.noobslab.com/2014/01/format ... buntu.html

zorinantwerp

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:37:28 pm

Hi, 'junk media converter' is a no go
if you know a decent converter for windows I would suggest to install win7 under 'Wine' or 'Oracle VM'

good luck

ImpWarfare

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:47:41 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, I've got the m4a files installed after a user on the ubuntuforums.org came along and showed me how to add m4a support to the soundconverter software however this will only work for 18.04 LTS and above releases due to the soundconverter v3.0.x.x releases which isn't available in 16.04 LTS so since I've got the actual files which they've given me and with the fdkaac, faad and faac components installed all I need to do is wait for the Zorin OS 13 to be released for the soundconverter (AAC) to be made available. I thought I should update you lot so you know that this is solved!