This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dual Boot Cloning

mojolinux

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:40:28 pm

Hi
I have a Dual Boot rig with Zorin 9.0 and Win7, each on their own separate SSD.
I would like to clone my existing Zorin OS Crucial MX300 500GB SSD to a larger Samsung 1TB 860 EVO SSD, while leaving the Win 7 SSD as is.
Will the Samsung provided cloning software and procedure include my Zorin GRUB OS selection bootloader, which was established AFTER I installed Windows 7?
Thanks

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:06:15 pm

If you haven't unboxed it yet I would advise a different manufacturer. Samsung has a poor reputation when it comes to GNU/Linux :

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comme ... sung_ssds/ :(

mojolinux

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:34:29 pm

Thanks Swarfendor437, but that link about Samsung SSD is at least 3yrs.old! I do remember the original TRIM issue with Samsung SSDs, and Samsung's patches from that era
Not a problem for me to switch brands as I'm running a Crucial 500GB MX100 for my Zorin 9.0 OS currently, and have NO aversion to substituting a Crucial 1TB MX 500GB SSD instead of Samsung.
I have read and heard that the Samsung cloning software was superior to the Acronis software provided with Crucial?

As to my original post?.After cloning my 500GB SSD to the new 1TB SSD, will this cause any issues with my GRUB bootloader selection installed on my (old) Zorin drive?

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:19:49 pm

Is GRUB on the Windows SSD or on the Zorin SSD?

Hopefully this thread may help?:

https://superuser.com/questions/1114174 ... larger-ssd

I personally have yet to dip my technological toe into the world of SSD and GNU/Linux - I don't fancy the manual trimming involved!

Good Luck! ;) :D

mojolinux

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:55:33 am

As I have indicated in my previous post, I installed Windows 7 to one SSD first, then after that was up and running, I installed Zorin to a different separate SSD, and placed GRUB on the Zorin SSD during the installation of Zorin 9.

I plan on using the Acronis TI clone software rather than any Linux Command Line for the cloning process.
This can be accomplished outside either OS environment when booting up to a USB Drive when either "Universal Restore" or "Acronis Restore" is pre installed on the USB drive.
This USB drive will also include the Acronis clone application for the actual cloning process.
I'm unsure whether or not the GRUB bootloader would change or accept the newer Linux SSD and function as before on the newly cloned Zorin drive?
Thanks again

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:14:03 pm

Hi to be honest I'm not sure either. The most recent purchase I made was for the benefit of family member's Notebook who is attending University. Are Acronis support able to advise? ;) :D

mojolinux

Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:11:25 am

OK thanks again Swarfendor437, for your kind replies to my unsure questions.
I think I will just have to try this and see what happens? I suspect either Acronis support wouldn't know the answer either, or ignore any inquiry?
BTW Acronis itself is Linux based if you didn't already know. It uses it's own proprietary code based on Linux for it`s imaging program.
Most people use Acronis as an installed Windows Program, though it also is used booting up to a "Virtual Drive" environment created by your system's RAM and the Program code on the Acronis disc, (or a created USB drive), to then access the Program's backup and / or restore an image functions, regardless of the Operating System.
I do have each drive's different OS image backed up with Acronis, so it should be just a matter of re imaging original drive(s) if it came down to a cloned GRUB failure.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:57:10 pm

Hi, yes I know it is based on GNU/Linux and don't know if they use it in the current version but in earlier Acronis releases and earlier Windows if you did a registry search for Acronis you would stumble upon Cygwin entry.

https://www.cygwin.com

;) :D

Keep us posted.

MBMz10

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:32:08 am

Hi mojolumix, wondering how your getting on with this?

Have you tried restoring the 'image' file you created onto the new drive (or an old HDD if you have one for testing) and seeing what happens?

I recently saw this video on youtube from Explaining Computers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTsq-HHz0Ss

I use a 'live USB Linux Distro' and the 'Disks' utility with a USB hard drive to create and restore images and full system backups, hence my interest in your situation.
Works a treat on BIOS motherboards but not sure about UEFI systems, it also restores GRUB/MBR just as it was before. A 5 minute video showing how is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYpHPe3VAOo&t

Restoring onto different sized destination drives does get a little more involved with resizing partitions and swap areas etc and if the new drive is smaller it wont work at all as the 'image' is to big to fit on the drive.

Anyway interested to hear your outcome.

(Edit)
Remember that restoring an 'image' onto a drive will destroy all existing data on that drive!!