This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problems with automatic login / login screen

Rainbowlemon

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:16:28 pm

Hey all. I have recently installed the latest version of Zorin (12.4) on my laptop. The first login was fine, but after changing the user settings to enable 'automatic login', I have an odd bug where the GUI doesn't start up and I have to log in using the terminal first. Here's what happens:

1. I start the laptop, and enter the disk encryption password
2. Screen goes blank, cursor blinks for a few seconds. Occasionally, I get a screen that looks like this:
Excuse the ghosting, my camera isn't very fast!
3. I get a terminal login screen. It seems to have trouble registering my keypresses, so I have to try a few times before my login works
4. The desktop GUI loads up
5. If I go to settings -> users, my user has 'automatic login' turned off. I try to turn it back on but it doesn't work.

I've not really made any changes to the settings or anything like that, apart from a change I had to make to get zorin to boot after an update (which required me to add pci=noaer to the boot settings). Any thoughts on why this automatic

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:04:03 pm

OK, couple of things. Having looked at this for some time with various people reporting issues:

1. Autologin should not be used.
2. Disk encryption should be undertaken AFTER installation, not pre/during. ;) :D

Rainbowlemon

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:04:44 pm

Thanks! I would ideally be using disk encryption as my 'login' for the pc - it's a pain having to type in two sets of passwords to get to the computer. Is there any way I could go about this? Or do I need to do a reinstall without disk encryption & autologin?

EDIT: I've just gone and disabled autologin in /etc/gdm3/custom.conf, and it fixed my problems. T'is very frustrating that I have to type two different passwords, though! I will be the only person using this laptop so it feels a bit redundant. Any idea what's causing this problem? I did notice that even with 'autologin' enabled in the gdm3 conf file, Zorin thinks autologin is disabled in the user settings.

Very odd.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:59:12 pm

If you are talking about:

1. Login to computer

2. Login to encrypted folder

Then there is nothing I can do to help I'm afraid. There was a good article in Linux Magazine quite a number of years ago and that looked at creating an encrypted USB stick (x 2 with one being a backup) to boot off that as a security key - that might be your solution. ;) :D

Rainbowlemon

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:16:05 pm

Nah, not logging into an encrypted folder. This is what I want to happen:

1. Unlock the disk (which I believe is locked with cryptsetup/LUKS on Zorin?)
2. Automatically log into my user account. I have just had to disable autologin to fix my issue, so now I have to enter my login password after unlocking the disk.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:58:06 pm

I think GabrielaGarcia explains why in this post:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1092310 ... -for-login

Rainbowlemon

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:00:56 pm

I'm using different passwords for my disk encryption (which loads before anything else) and my user login. I'd like to have my user login automatic, instead of typing a password - but then I encounter this frustrating bug with gdm3 that requires me to log in with terminal then 'startx'.

Basically, is there a place for official bug reports? Because enabling automatic login causes me issues, and I want to fix these issues. :)

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:53:37 pm

Try the solution posted here:

https://askubuntu.com/a/1076137

top of thread link:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/108955/ ... mmand-line

You could always disable gdm and install lightdm to boot off instead but be sure you back your system up before you start messing! ;)