This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

File Recovery Software Suggestion Or Help

ILuvCheese

Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:11:57 am

Hello all an thanks again in advance so I have two internal hard drive plug in to my desktop one runing zorin lite and the other one just cause for like documents pictures media, ect, ect,. long story short in the process of me plugging in a external hard drive to my computer and reformatting it. The Noob (which is me) formatted the wrong hard drive. I formatted my 2nd internal drive which was not the intended so is there a way to recover these files, which software to use. thanks again

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:07:32 pm

I can't guarantee this method for your situation but if you prefer a GUI to command line then go with this possible solution I posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14153

Failing that all I can suggest is 'Test Disk':

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

If it was data from Windows then you could test the demo of NTFS Data Recovery:

https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

But whatever you do, ensure you DON'T write anything else to the disk you formatted in error. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:57:55 pm

I did some research on came across DDR-rescueGUI, probably in Synaptic package Manager - now an app on my desktop.

I also burnt to DVD: Boot-repair disc-64 bit; Comodo Rescue disc 32 and 64 bit; and DBan Disc Tool - although I think that they are to correct a slightly corrupted HDD rather than one that has been wiped.

Fortunately, I have never used any of the above - so can not say any can help you - but they are related tools.

Good Luck!!

terry

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:33:49 pm

I suggest also to use the "Data Recovery" I used it before it helps me recover some of the most important files to me at-least, but not all files in my HD.

zorinantwerp

Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:16:11 pm

Hi

As said above you should NOT write to the failed device, as it can worsen a hardware failure, and overwrite existant data in case of lost files .

Shut down the affected machine as soon as possible, and restart it from a LiveCD or LiveUSB. Be certain that the "live" cd does not automatically mount any partition or swap space.

Cross fingers and do not rush on strategy applied.

+++