This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New installation stuck in enter password loop

Telstar

Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:16:33 pm

I have just installed Zorin 12.4 on a laptop (from a USB). The installation ran fine and I selected dual boot (using a high capacity external HDD for the installed application.

Immediately after installing everything ran ok for an hour and then Zorin locked up. Eventually I had to power off. On re-boot from the initial menu Zorin loaded as far as the Enter Password step. After entering the pw I got a blue screen for a few seconds and then the Enter Password prompt re-appeared.

What do I need to do to get out of this loop?

I appreciate that more information may be needed to diagnose the issue.

Al

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:46:49 pm

See my detailed post here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14197

Telstar

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:46:52 pm

Many thanks Swarfendor, I'll have a go shortly.

Telstar

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:04:30 pm

Eventually (and for no apparent reason) running Zorin Advanced sorted it. It hadn't worked yesterday, and I have yet to log off, shut down and re-boot. So, 'fingers crossed'.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:27:52 pm

Keep us posted! ;) :D

Aravisian

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:32:27 am

I had this happen to me a couple of days ago and that experience may just help someone else that has it happen to them.
It took me a hard minute to figure it out...
But after looping many times, I noticed a settings "gear icon" on the right side next to the log in button below where you enter your PW.
Clicking it revealed that the start up setting had changed from the standard default to something else somehow (Can't remember what, I think it was Cairo Dock or something else that didn't make any sense) and switching it to the default resulted in logging in normally.
No idea how it happened or how that setting changed... but it may be others find that simple and easy fix to be all that they need. Check that gear icon setting first before tearing hair out.
If, sadly, it is not the easy fix as described here, then the above (and any following posts) can hopefully help.