This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

What version of Zorin am I using?

jeep

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:51:55 am

Hi,

I know this is the most elementary of all questions, but I'm not sure what version I have installed :?

I'm running a multi-boot Linux / Windows setup with Win 7 on an SSD and several Linux distros on a conventional HDD.
(I'm very new to Linux and am trying out several distros to see which ones I like best.)
I have a Grub bootloader, but it lists Zorin as Ubuntu Generic or something like that.

I installed my Zorin several weeks ago, but honestly I spend most of my time on Windows, and most of my Linux time between Ubuntu 11.1 and Mint 12.
(I also have Fedora and OpenSUSE (both Gnome versions) installed, but I haven't really paid much attenton to them.)
I want to spend this weekend on Zorin, but I'd like to be sure that I have the latest version before I get too involved.

The oldest it could possibly be is v5.1, but there is the possibility that it might be v5.2.
Also, if it is v5.1, will it update to v5.2, or will that require a complete new install?

If I have to use the terminal to find this, please give me commands I can copy-and-paste because I am embarrassingly ignorant about command prompt :oops:

Thank you.

nid

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:59:34 pm

In terminal:
Code:
cat /etc/lsb-release

The output should be something like:
Code:
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=natty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Zorin OS 5.2"

Wolfman

Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:03:41 pm

You can also install the package "sysinfo" which will give you all the details about your PC!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

jeep

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:06:10 pm

Thanks everyone.

I ran the terminal command and found that I have v5.1.
So looks like I'll probably reformat and update to v5.2.

BTW, also installed sysinfo.

Thanks all.