This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Canon TS8050 printer/scanner scanning / OCR

Finston Pickle

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:12:00 pm

It's time to reopen the thorny issue of Canon printers and, in particular, scanning and doing OCR analysis from my Canon TS8050 printer/scanner. I've got it printing well from my Zorin12 laptop - though not without some major set up difficulties. The printer is still temperamental with my wife's I-pad - sometimes printing, sometimes not.

Although the printer is sold as being compatible with Windows, MAC and Linux, the Canon Linux support is very thin and limited to printing, in my experience.

I have so far used Simple Scan, Xsane image scanning, Scan Gear and Vue Scan and not even been able to see my printer/scanner on my network. I thought that I had a breakthrough when my daughter pointed out selecting “Scanner” on the touch screen - but heartbreak - no joy. Must delve deeper with experts, I thought!

First thing, though - engage brain - Online manual. Damn - all Windows and MAC! NO Linux.
However, I did find out that the printer supports WIA and WSD protocols - whatever they are! I tried opening the scanner Apps to see if WIA or WSD are mentioned - no joy again - as they look for a networked printer and give up if they don't find one. Vue scan was partially useful - suggesting that a firewall might be stopping the scanner's response - Standard Zorin firewall is on but I am rusty on how to access it at the command line (I can't even remember what it is called) - therefore side issue - how can I access my firewall to see what is going on?

Main Question: Does anyone know how to get scanning and OCR going on a Canon TS8050, using Zorin 12.4, over a WiFi network, please?

zorinantwerp

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:52:43 pm

Hi Finston

I have similar experience with Canon not bothering to invest into building a driver between windows 7 and 8 so my dye sublimation printer, brandnew from the shop, is gathering dust. This brand is banned in my realm.

With the new release of Zorin in the pipeline I would cross fingers and make another try then.

+++