This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to Install CPU Micro code from intel website downloads?

RottenApple09

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:39:18 pm

My name is Kevin Im new to linux and to Zorin, I am a first time user. This is my first post.

Could someone walk me through how to install intel microcode for intel cpu using zorin terminal. I don't even know how to go under a root name

Im trying to install a better quad core cpu to this imac that it doesn't support or won't boot with. Im hopeing that if i install micro code for this cpu that the system will except it. I tried mac forums and they shut me out for asking about bios hacks. I thought that what linux was all about free roaming computing on any machine so here i am using linux zorin os in hope that i can install a quad core in this old machine and keep it running really fast for a few more years

Computer specs are as follows:

2009 20 inch imac
Cpu intel core 2 duo T9900
ram/memory 8 gb
operating system Zorin Ultimate
Original operating system was el capitan
bios from terminal info
Handle 0x000E, DMI type 0, 24 bytes

BIOS Information
Vendor: Apple Inc.
Version: IM91.88Z.008D.B08.0904271717
Release Date: 04/27/09
ROM Size: 4096 kB
Characteristics:
PCI is supported
BIOS is upgradeable
BIOS shadowing is allowed
Boot from CD is supported
Selectable boot is supported
ACPI is supported
IEEE 1394 boot is supported
Smart battery is supported
Function key-initiated network boot is supported
BIOS Revision: 0.1

zorinantwerp

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:14:27 pm

Hi,

RottenApple09 wrote:Im trying to install a better quad core cpu to this imac that it doesn't support or won't boot with. Im hopeing that if i install micro code for this cpu that the system will except it.

which quad core you are referring to?

never worked with a mac or done what you intend but I think you first have to verify if there is a update micro code
Code:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/545925/how-to-update-intel-microcode-properly

please revert afterwards

+++

RottenApple09

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:46:31 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi,

RottenApple09 wrote:Im trying to install a better quad core cpu to this imac that it doesn't support or won't boot with. Im hopeing that if i install micro code for this cpu that the system will except it.

which quad core you are referring to?

never worked with a mac or done what you intend but I think you first have to verify if there is a update micro code
Code:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/545925/how-to-update-intel-microcode-properly

please revert afterwards

+++

Thanks for replying to me

I downloaded the code from intel website for a intel core 2 quad Q9100

I just don't know how to install it.

zorinantwerp

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:04:44 pm

Hi Kevin,

sorry for the delay.
Expert users can of course update their microcode directly outside the OS vendor mechanism. This method is complex and thus could be error prone. Microcode is best loaded from the BIOS. Certain microcode must only be applied from the BIOS.

While the regular approach to getting this microcode update is via a BIOS update, Linux operating system has a mechanism to update the microcode after booting.

ok you downloaded from intel the linux version yes?
Code:
ttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28087/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=37033

This file will be used by the operating system mechanism if the file is placed in the /etc/firmware directory of the Linux system.
I am in limbo on the best advice to give

well try first with terminal commands:
open Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t)
insert line by line
you will be asked for your password but what you type will not be visible + carriage return
Code:
sudo apt install intel-microcode

Code:
sudo apt-get install intel-microcode

Code:
sudo reboot

Code:
# dmesg | grep 'microcode'

second method

you will find the downloaded file in your directory download with extension TAR. click with your mouse on sub menu' Extract Here' and you receive a folder containing 5 items.
goto menu home
click on other location and you enter linux files
go to /etc directory
no folder firmware found so create it
move the 5 files into that folder
replace the cpu and reboot and cross fingers
Kevin it is solely at your own risk as I am on thin ice :)

please let know outcome. thanks

+++