This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to Undo setting up Zorin O.S. Encrypted

Aravisian

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:10:37 am

During one of my many adventures in wiping and reloading, I accidently set this last one to Encrypt the O.S. to require a password to login upon boot.
At first it didn't bother me much but it's starting to get annoying when in a hurry.
Is it possible to undo that now, after the fact? Apologies if this is covered already and I cannot seem to hit the right search terms.

EDIT: Of course, I hit the right terms AFTER I submitted this thread.
I found this guide:
https://www.howtogeek.com/116179/how-to ... ng-ubuntu/

EDIT + Update:
I followed the article instructions to the letter. The article dates from 2012.
Everything went smoothly without loss of data. However, it did not work. The one hiccough was when I entered into terminal the following command:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove ecryptfs-utils libecryptfs0

Result:
Code:
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'libecryptfs1' instead of 'libecryptfs0'
Package 'ecryptfs-utils' is not installed, so not removed

I believe that piece of information is out of date. When I login, I see Cryptfs5, I think. I would prefer to not try again until I find the proper information on that.

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:13:25 am

I never encrypt anything as it can lead to Dat loss; something I picked up on in using SuSELinux 9.3 Professional which gives stark warnings during installation. If you are looking to getting to setup autologin then I would strongly advise against it as it will give you an even bigger headache. The only advice I can offer at present is look how to remove that package name you found and also whether doing so might adversely affect your system. Backup anything critical before proceeding.

Aravisian

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:19:31 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote: it will give you an even bigger headache.

I think that may be the answer- for now.
I first looked into the root folders to see if I could locate the files. I had noticed home folder lacked .private or .ecrypt folders. I found many spread out in usr/bin, sbin, var... I won't bother going into detail. I suspect that the version described in the 2012 article was too exploitable.
Then, I did a restart and paid attention to what flashed on the screen
:Cryptsetup sda5.
Nuts.
At this point, I have done so many backups, including files in my docs folder for reinstalling all programs and various tweaks; doing a wipe and reload would be a lot more sensible.