This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Troubles with touchpad

kojadinovic.aleksa98

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:43:16 pm

Hi,

I've recently switched from elementary to ZorinOS 12 (the free version).
I'm satisfied for the most part, but yesterday I've discovered an issue. I have an HP Probook 440 G5, and most of the time I keep it connected to a secondary monitor with keyboard and a mouse connected. So at one point I needed my laptop away from my desk, so I disconnected it. Now, the HP Probook 440 G5 has one of those touchpads without the visible click buttons (I don't know if there's a name for those), but instead the buttons are "hidden" below the touchpad on its very bottom. There are two problems that I'm experiencing, and they're rather hard to explain, so I'll do my best:

Problem #1: Let's suppose I want to move my cursor to something that's close to the bottom of my screen and then LEFT click it. I first put my middle finger on the touchpad, and then move down to where I want to and then I click the above mentioned "hidden" left click button with my index finger. When I do this I end up RIGHT clicking instead of left clicking (probably because I've got two fingers laid on the touchpad). It may sound like this is the way it's supposed to be but it had not been happening on elementary or any of the previous distros I've used. But this problem is not that important, I'll probably get used to removing the other finger from the touchpad when pressing a button. Problem 2 is what's really bothering me.

Problem #2: Also happens only when I'm using my laptop without external keyboard or mouse. This one is simpler. I'm typing something a little longer and all of a sudden the cursor goes to a random point within the text I already wrote. By the time I realize this had happened I've already written a few words in the middle of the other text and I get gibberish. Now, I remember something similar happening to me maybe 5 years ago back when I used Windows and the problem was that the touchpad would still register taps even while I'm writing and therefore, while typing, I'd accidentally touch the touchpad with my palm resulting in the cursor getting moved. The solution was some kind of setting that made it so the touchpad is disabled while typing. Is there such a setting on ZorinOS, because this problem is really a pain?

So in conclusion, the second problem is what I really need a solution to, because it's making it impossible to write anything a little longer. The first problem is more or less about changing a habit.

Thanks in advance.

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:09:20 pm

Regarding #2 - interesting thread here - https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook- ... -p/6444722

Don't suppose the double-tap is available as it was in the G4 to lock the touchpad?

Regarding #1 - install Synaptic Package Manager from the Software 'Store' (near bottom right of menu) then when you open Synaptic Package Manager (you'll need your login password to elevate you to 'root' [=administrator]) and search for 'Touchpad' and see if there are any pkgs that come up that are not checked (solid green box?) - Mark them for installation then select 'Apply' from the menu, to see if you get any further. ;) :D