This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(Solved) big help need. unable to launch starxcef4!

pcfan5

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:36:49 am

Hello, I have just installed Zorin Litte , fresh install. Installed Keyrings in order to avoid chrome asking for password, also installed some apps , and removed someothers...I decide to reboot : this is what I get "unable to launch "startxfce4" X session---"starxfced4"not found;falling back to default session-"
However when I press ok, nothing happens, Just a black screen and the pointer mouse...

I hope I don't have to install the OS again....I was just finishing tunning it... :(

pcfan5

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:14:26 am

solution

ALT+F2
logg in with
user name (which in my case isn't the one that appears at the top of the Zorin Menu window)
password.

then

sudo su
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install --reinstall xubuntu-desktop

REBOOT

*Anyway I must say that there is some broken packages... which I am trying to fix through Synaptic, altough I don't know much of what I am doing...and there's seems to be a duplicated package...
Code:
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/xubuntu-default-settings_16.04.6_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/etc/skel/.Xdefaults', which is also in package zorin-os-lite-default-settings 12.1

zorinantwerp

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:27:47 am

Hi

have a reading here to get your machine clean and mean :)
Code:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/8-ways-to-maintain-a-clean-lean-ubuntu-machine/

+++

pcfan5

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:36:49 pm

thanks!. I would like to add, that I have to remove xubuntu and ubuntu desktop, which I installed with the commands above, since they were shown to be broken and they couldn't get fixed as I mentioned.
Just in case I marked to Re- Install xfce desktop.

All of this from synaptics, Now the system seems to be fine, But I don't know how to make myself sure of it. Is there something I can run to check it?

pcfan5

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:06:19 pm

the problem is that the commands given before weren't accurate since now I have "ubuntu" desktop available and "libvrit Qemu" is available in logg in window