This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] No Swap Partition

kpinvt

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:13:04 am

Well I finally managed to blunder my way into dual booting Zorin 12.4 and Windows 10. I have a 2011 Dell Optiplex Intel Core i7 with 8GB of ram. At first Windows Disk Management would not allow me to resize the primary partition so I used the EaseUS parition manager to set aside 250GB of the 2TB Win 10 hard drive. I followed video instructions from Its FOSS for the install. During installation I specified a Root and Home partition but not a swap partition. Everything seems to be working well except for the HD running at odd times that slows the system down until it is frozen, I have to sit for several minutes while watching the drive light blinking rapidly. If I really need a swap partition how would I go about setting one up? Gparted won't let me resize the Zorin partition. I really like Zorin, I like the way it boots in about the same amount of time that Win10 takes but unlike Win10, Zorin seems to be fully functional.

zorinantwerp

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:29:42 pm

Hi

this video
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THxnDDR1Thg
is good enough
if you still run win 10 you have to start to tackle the repartition there

also:
in this forum under the section 'community contributions' you will find
a manual for 'core' and 'light' version

can you check out please if it makes any sense to you. thanks
+++

kpinvt

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:44:54 am

Thank you.

kpinvt

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:12:35 pm

I resized the Win10 portion of the HD using EaseUS Partition Manager to make room for a Zorin swap file and lost the dual boot option on startup. Win10 would not load so I used a recovery thumb drive to get the machine to boot into Win10. Now Win10 works OK but I can't get back into Zorin. I have a Rescatux thumb drive but I'm not sure how to use it. Every screw-up is an educational experience. So the question now is, is there a way to bring back the dual boot option without reinstalling Zorin over the Zorin system that is now in place?

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:23:57 pm

kpinvt

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:29:01 pm

I now have my Zorin install back. What I did was to reboot with the Zorin thumb drive I used for the original dual boot setup. I clicked on Try Zorin and once that was up and running I used Boot-Repair. I copied and pasted from an article on how to use Boot-Repair to install it onto the thumb drive I was using with sudo apt get. Boot-Repair worked great, I just had to answer one question on whether or not the drive B-R was going to copy the new boot info to was removable. I clicked no and B-R finished up what it was doing. I rebooted and the menu screen came back offering Zorin first and Win 10 last. I have access to Zorin now and I am one happy camper.

/edit

I now also have an active swap partition.