This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Geforce 740m not working zorin core 12.4

Spaldingg

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:59:29 am

I have a laptop with intel and 740m. No matter which nvidia driver I install the nvidia settings won't show any info. I'm using zorin core 12.4 64bit.

I've tried it on other distros and it works on some, of course it works on windows fine. I have moved to zorin on a few of my systems and would prefer to use 3d acceleration on my laptop.

When installing the recommended driver it asks about gdm3 or lightdm but either way it messes up the desktop and still doesn't work.

Finston Pickle

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:49:58 pm

Nvidia cards seem to be an issue - just use X org drivers and all seems fine for me.

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:15:29 pm

I would concur with what FinstonPickle has said, however I respect "each to their own" - the only caveat here is that "There are security risks using proprietary drivers under GNU/Linux" just as there would be using Windows Applications under WINE.

Have you looked under 'Additional Drivers'? Tab in Software Update Settings:

Screenshot from 2019-03-02 14-14-22.png

Spaldingg

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:44:45 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I would concur with what FinstonPickle has said, however I respect "each to their own" - the only caveat here is that "There are security risks using proprietary drivers under GNU/Linux" just as there would be using Windows Applications under WINE.

Have you looked under 'Additional Drivers'? Tab in Software Update Settings:

Screenshot from 2019-03-02 14-14-22.png

Yes I have looked there, I get the same options you have 340 and 390 but neither work and the mess up the desktop.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:01:44 pm

Hi, can you please see if this blog post works?:

https://the-robinsnest.blogspot.com/201 ... s-for.html

Spaldingg

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:07:05 pm

I have found a solution after installing around 10 times.

My fix was to install the X-org nouveau driver first then restart, after that it successfully installs the nvidia driver.

This was really anoying me as I lke zorin a lot but really wanted to use my 3d card. Trying different distros and seeing the driver installed first time made me think that it would never work in my m740. Happy days I can now get accelerated apps and games.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:46:38 pm

Great! Will close thread as [RESOLVED].

killians_red

Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:13:12 am

Actually, I had issues with my Geforce-1080ti. After some googling and lots of trial and error, I happened upon this little nugget of information.

Ubuntu developers are providing Nvidia GPU drivers.
This link https://websiteforstudents.com/install-proprietary-nvidia-gpu-drivers-on-ubuntu-16-04-17-10-18-04/ shows how to Install Proprietary Nvidia GPU Drivers on Ubuntu 16.04 / 17.10 / 18.04
And here https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa is the actual link to the Ubuntu drivers.

Just run these commands
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

Code:
sudo apt update

I removed all the fluff that has you installing older drivers, and got these next two commands further down the page of first link.

This command
Code:
ubuntu-drivers device
will list available drivers for your card.
Then entering
Code:
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
will install the recommended version for your card.

My drivers are installed and running great now.
Hope this helps those that are experiencing graphics issues.

One final note, Since you mentioned laptop. You will be running Nvidia Prime, so don't install Bumblebee. You can manually swap between Intel and Nvidia using nvidia-settings.
Code:
sudo nvidia-settings

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:29:13 pm

killians_red wrote:Actually, I had issues with my Geforce-1080ti. ...

I have a GT620 so that would probably kill it! GT620 won't run with equivalent of nvidia 410 drivers. And as I have stated elsewhere, proprietary blobs wherever they are sourced from carry their own intrinsic security risks. ;)