This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

problems launching Libreoffice 6.2

pcfan5

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:51:48 pm

Recently installed following the instructions from the DEB packages , as I always do... however I can launch LibreOffice 6.2 , I can only see the splash screen and nothing else. I removed it from synaptics and tried again with sudo dpkg -i *.deb (opening DEBS folder in terminal as it is explained in the instructions) , same result it get installed but won't execute.

I had previously removed the 5.1 version that comes with Zorin.

UPDATE: trying to instal libreoffice 6.2 from deb packages brings a lot of problems among them if something got missing in the way such as libobasis6.2-core:i386 (which is a libreoffice package) you won't be able to run Synaptics... such is the mess that I wasn't able to run a simple instalation command from console until I installed this package again from libreofice6.2 extrated tarball.
It cought my attentions than sometime ago , I was able to upgrade libreoffice 5.1 from "software channel"... I have been googling and many people says that uninstalling libreoffice ( regarding the one that comes with the system) may bring problems... that never happened to me until now.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:24:09 pm

Unfortunately, I don't know of this issue and possibly some glitch in LibreOffice and library dependencies. It is better to keep to the Software Updater so that when newer kernels get released etc, then when LibreOffice matches the kernel requirements you should get notification of it in Software Updater. ;) :D

Also, is your download source set to 'Main Server' instead of the one where you live? ;)

pcfan5

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:25:48 pm

Hi, yes it is set in main server.
Don't know why is happening this problem this time? I had been able to remove office5.1 and install 6.1 , from software chanel some time ago...lets say two months more or less.

Here I paste translated, a reply I got from the ask libreoffice site....but I think this is quite dramatic... I don't think it will be necesary to remove my user...
anyway I don't know how to uninstall.
Code:
"I advise you to eliminate the manual installation you have made, make sure that there are no files or folders "forgotten" when uninstalling (run whereis libreoffice after uninstalling and do not rest until it returns any results), delete the user profile and install from repositories, not from deb packages or rpm: the new things that 6.2 brings with respect to 6.1.x are not that important, so it's not worth installing manually. This way you will avoid having duplicate fonts, for example. Also, if you want stability it is always better to avoid the "zero point" versions. Wait at least 6.2.2, but always try to install from repository, which is more secure."

pcfan5

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:55:10 pm

UPDATE

I used this commands to uninstall

sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*

sudo apt-get clean

sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get remove fonts-opensymbol libreoffice libreoffice-* openoffice.org-dtd-officedocument1.0 python*-uno uno-libs3-* ure ure-dbg

whereis libreoffice:gives "libreoffice:" (empty)

UPDATE: now I can see version 6.2 available in "software" , I would like developers to check this "software center" lots of problems, such as getting stucked even in liveUSB.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:56:12 pm

Did you install using gdebi Package installer? I would run Synaptic Package Manager and do a search for 'LibreOffice' - press the S column button at the top and that should lump all the libreoffice items that are installed on your machine - select each one and mark each one for removal then install the pkg from the Software Channel. ;)

pcfan5

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:04:01 pm

no I didn't use gdebi package installer because it isn't possible. Once I dowloaded the compress file from libreoofiice site I etract the fiels and run "sudo dpkg -i *.deb", following libreoffice instruccions.

Now I got all libreoffice removed and found the version 6.2 in software channel.. (for the whole libreoffice suite).

Thanks for the synaptip tip