This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Moving Thunderbird profile

newzedder

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:47:17 pm

I did a search on here a short while ago to try and find any posts referring to moving a Thunderbird email profile. I have installed the Thunderbird email software but not yet used it to receive emails; and am aiming to copy across my Thunderbird profile from its present location under Windows 7 into Zorin 12.

I did find something on the forum dated around 2014 but now I can't find it again :( . I have followed all the instructions on Mozilla's site about copying across a Thunderbird profile....all done ok except the last part.... "Click on Open Directory. Your Thunderbird profile folder will open in File Browser.
Close Thunderbird.
From your Thunderbird profile folder, go up two levels.
Right-click inside the folder, and select Paste.
When prompted, choose to replace your current data. "

Now, I can see this at top of my browser: HOME .thunderbird uopvfrkw.default
If I go up two levels I am in HOME, but there is no .thunderbird in the Home directory.
So I am not sure exactly how and where to paste my profile. My profile is currently sat on a USB stick, ready to go; consisting of three directories and a .ini file.
It's probably a simple answer but I don't want to accidentally erase important files.
Late night, off to snooze mode, hopefully someone will read and let me know.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:32:07 pm

Hi,

.thunderbird and all folders/files beginning with '.' are hidden folders/files - whilst in /home, press Ctrl+ H to view hidden files, including .thunderbird.

;) :D

Also check these out:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/370581/ ... nd-windows

https://fosswire.com/post/2008/03/migra ... -to-linux/

newzedder

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:34:07 pm

Cool. I didnt know about the hidden files. Many thanks for the links there.

artesan0

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:17:11 am

Hi!
thanks for this post.

I just moved to Zorian (and linux platform) for my very first time, and I want to use my profile folder (I backed it up from my old computer).
When I arrive to the point of clicking in the "Open directory" button (profile folder) inside Thunderbird troubleshooting page, the button doesn't do anything ??

What I'd like to do is to use my profile from my NAS shared folder.
Can you help me, please?
I feel really, really lost, and the worst of all, I cannot access my old e-mails.
Thanks in advance!