This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

--MORE--Unknown key 0xff detected

IanGraham

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:16:36 am

I am running Zorin on a Lenovo ThinkPad.

I have recently had an issue at bootup which was occasional, but has become persistent.

If I simply press the power-on button, the boot-up process can quickly divert into a loop with this onscreen:
--MORE--Unknown key0xff detected
The line repeats to virtually fill the screen, and stops on
--MORE--.

At first, I found the using the F2 interrupt key allowed the machine to boot through to a normal state, but this recourse seems to be becoming more difficult to apply - as if the exact timing is more critical. (I have just done it, after a series of failed attempts.)

Originally, I mis-associated the occurrence with a the installation of a new application - but I have had this cleared off, and the problem has returned after a few days' grace, worse than before.

Questions:

a. is there anything that I can type in after that
--MORE--
to move the machine on ? (I'm not actually sure that it will accept a further line, but it's worth trying?)

b. is the F2 interrupt otherwise the best option ?

c. what should I do to actually tackle the trouble ?

Many thanks for any help !

Ian G.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:39:04 pm

Unfortunately, the only GNU/Linux link to your issue is on a Macbook!:

https://trisquel.info/es/forum/solved-l ... f-detected

IanGraham

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:52:08 pm

Yes, I was aware of that link......., and the anomaly/question it raises. But the fact remains that the issue has arisen on a machine which is not a Mac, and has had no relations with anything Apple/Mac.
I will paste in a summary of my installation:
Name (Brand) of Computer Tower/System, Notebook Brand and model [Notebook = misnomer of 'Laptop’]
Lenovo T500
Amount of available Memory (RAM)
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 3688 1268 747 371 1672 1781
Swap: 3832 0 3832
ian@ThinkPad-T500:~$
Whether Zorin is the only OS on the computer or dual-boot (e.g. Windows [and which version of Windows!] and Zorin).
Zorin is the only OS
Hard Drive partitioning.
None so far as I know. See full dump below
Graphics card make and model, or Graphics chipset in respect of Notebooks.
See dump below
Audio chips/Soundcard
See dump below
Wireless Dongle or PCI Card, or Wireless chipset.
None. Wireless turned off
Whether you ran Zorin Live first to check it worked before installing.
I bought the T500 with Zorin installed, so I don’t know whether the installer did this.
Which version of Zorin you have installed/have in mind to install.
Zorin OS 12.3 64-bit

DISTRIB_ID=Zorin
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12
DISTRIB_CODENAME=xenial
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Zorin OS 12.3"
NAME="Zorin OS"
VERSION="12.2"
ID=zorin
ID_LIKE=ubuntu
PRETTY_NAME="Zorin OS 12.3"
VERSION_ID="12"
HOME_URL="https://www.zorinos.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.zorinos.com/help"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/zorin-os/+filebug"
VERSION_CODENAME=xenial
UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:53:01 pm

It sounds like the person you bought the notebook off did an 'auto install'. Let's try recovery mode. Normally you won't see GRUB but a faint blue/screen border during boot - as soon as you see that, (and making sure you have wired connection to your router) press the left shift key to reveal GRUB options - select the Advanced Options for the current kernel installed and then from the menu that appears select enable netework, then run the first item DPKG - this will check for any updates missing pkgs. If it offers updates, say yes to them. After completion DON'T select continue, but turn off the notebook and reboot. Keep us posted. ;)

IanGraham

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:42:50 pm

Thanks. I copied all that and will try it in the morning.
Ian G.

IanGraham

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:38:57 pm

First, I'm sorry not to have fed-back sooner. It's been a busy week, and I haven't till now felt like taking on this unknown process. I have simply left the ThinkPad running without booting down, for several days.
Now, mixed reports.
Trying to activate recovery mode, I have now been through four cycles of 'turn off and reboot'. At no stage have I had a recurrence of the error message that heads this thread. I don't know whether that is, so to speak, 'spontaneous', or the result of the exact routine(s) I've gone through......
1st time - I pressed LH Shift immediately I had a glimpse of the Gnu flash screen - ie with hindsight, probably too soon. Bootup went through smoothly.
2nd time - left it longer, glimpsed the blue frame, pressed LH Shift, possibly too late. Bootup went through smoothly.
3rd time - this time I knew what to expect when, pressed and held LH Shift. Bootup went through smoothly. (Was the 'hold' too much?)
4th time - as 3, but simply pressed and let go. Bootup went through smoothly. That is the bootup from which I am now typing this up online.
So, not sure where I stand now. Obviously as long as I can get in and out, there is no emergency. Don't know why I'm not getting into the recovery mode. Don't know whether the error will rear its head again, but hopefully have tools to get round it if so.
Would just repeat my question whether there is anything I can usefully attempt to 'enter' at the prompt if the error should recur.

:-} !
Ian G.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:03:56 pm

It can be tricky to catch - also try holding the left shift key just after keyboard light lights up or at boot time. ;)

IanGraham

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41:11 pm

Noted. Thank you
Ian G.