This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Driver installation for beginner

MacLaddy

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:55:12 am

Hi Folks,

This is my second attempt at getting into the land of Linux, and Zorin, specifically. However, I am brand new knowledge-wise. So please be gentle.

I installed Zorin on an older computer that doesn't have a wireless card. I purchased a Belkin USB wireless adapter that says it is compatible with Linux. When I open the little mini disc that comes with the package I find three folders on it. Windows, Mac, and Linux, respectively.
Choosing the Linux folder I find a number of additional folders and files that I don't know what to do with. One says "Install.sh." No clue what to do with that. There is a folder named "Driver" that has a single file inside. That file has a long-winded name that ends with tar.gz.
The driver itself is named RTL8811AU. I appreciate a kick in the right direction. I'm typically pretty good with learning and figuring things out on my own, but this has me stumped. Everytime I search for this I find a bunch of lingo and Linux Speek that I don't understand. I would appreciate some baby-steps to get me started.

Thanks,
Mac

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:18:56 pm

Hi, see if this post on ubuntu forums help - please be advised you need to open a terminal to copy and paste those commands one at a time (Menu | Utilities | Terminal or Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and what that thread does not show is you will need to enter your login password after the first 'sudo' command - you won't see any circles like you do at login - this is a security feature of the terminal:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st13407173