This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How can I bigify the screen?!

wombat140

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:31:46 am

My new laptop has an HD screen, which is nice in theory, but means that everything appears headache-inducingly tiny - presumably Zorin and my programs were designed for a lower DPI!
I thought it would be just a matter of changing the screen resolution. But alas! I don't know what fool set up the display controls for this computer, but the only other options available are a different shape from the screen, leaving big black bars at either the top and bottm or left and right of the screen!
Is there a better option? I've tried increasing the zoom in Firefox, but that still leaves everything else. As a matter of fact, even that isn't perfect - I haven't been able to find a way to make Firefox zoom in by default, it will only do it for individual sites and reverts back to 100% zoom whenever you go to a new site, so I've had to settle for increasing the minimum font size, which makes a lot of sites look scruffy and distorted (as the text size doesn't match the icons and pictures) but is generally more readable.

Finston Pickle

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:50:42 pm

Try Zoom Page WE ADD-ON for Firefox - try 150%.

For the rest look back through early postings - it is a well known issue.

From memory, one hack is:

1.Install Gnome Tweak Tool via Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T):
CODE: SELECT ALL
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

This places 'Tweak Tool' in 'System Tools':

2. Launch Tweak Tool and go to 'Extensions' in the left Pane. ( type "Teak tool" - above the blue Z bottom left - click on it and you can launch, or add to favourites or the desktop as you wish)

3. In the right pane of "Tweak tool", scroll down to 'Zorin Dash' and click on the 'cog' to open 'Zorin Dash Settings'

Select a larger font size and favourite bar size here.

Good luck!

Finston Pickle

Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:08:56 pm

A bit more info for you, wombat140:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12821

Good luck!