This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Make mouse and font bigger?

bennylava

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:09:38 am

Hi all, new here. I'm looking to switch over from Windows to Linux, and I really like the look of Zorin. To try it out, I just downloaded and installed the core on an older rig from 2012. I have some questions to ask, but they're kinda numerous so I'll just make a list. So here goes:

1. Is there a way to make the mouse cursor bigger? I'm running a 1440p monitor and I have a hard time seeing the tiny mouse.

2. Is there a way to make the Font bigger? I seem to remember something called Dconf editor from my first attempt to switch to linux about 5 years ago. I went ahead and installed it but I'm not sure how to go about increasing the font or the cursor size.

3. Is there somewhere besides the software center, where you can launch your newly installed programs from? I'm used to being able to go to the start menu, and scroll through there somewhere and find my programs. But they just don't seem to be there anywhere. I'd also like to find that so I can easily make desktop icons to place on the desktop. As of now I have to open the software center and launch from there.

4. I'd like to be able to make the window control buttons bigger. Those little buttons in the top right hand corner of every window. You know, close, minimize, maximize, etc. For me they are very tiny. I hope that I don't end up having to run in 1080p, as I prefer to be able to make full use of my 1440p monitor.

5. Anyone know why certain windows just can't be made bigger? Say the settings window for example. A lot of various settings windows, are stuck at the size they are when you open them. Just curious on this one. Some of them could stand to get a little bigger. Not a deal breaker though.

6. Can I upgrade from the core version, to the paid version, without having to reinstall Zorin? If I decide to keep it as my Linux os.

Aravisian

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:50:14 am

bennylava wrote:1. Is there a way to make the mouse cursor bigger? I'm running a 1440p monitor and I have a hard time seeing the tiny mouse.

2. Is there a way to make the Font bigger? I seem to remember something called Dconf editor from my first attempt to switch to linux about 5 years ago. I went ahead and installed it but I'm not sure how to go about increasing the font or the cursor size.

bennylava, you might try using Tweak Tool to increase Font size.
From a terminal (ctl-alt-T) you can type in:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository universe
- this is to ensure you have the repository. You may need to
Code:
sudo apt-get update

then:
Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

Once you have installed it, you can run it by hitting alt-F2 and typing in "gnome-tweak-tool" or entering "gnome-tweak-tool" in terminal OR select it from the applications menu to run it.
On the Left hand side, you will see Fonts Tab. Clicking that will get you where you want to go.
Using Zorin alone, you can do so from "Settings" in your applications, then "Zorin Appearance." Swarfendor had written a .pdf guide, Here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13614
You can read the manual directly, Here:
https://app.box.com/s/71wn2fird2nee6un8t206ugm6mzui9hr
Scroll to page 100.

On making the Cursor larger, I do not know of any way of doing that. I am still learning Zorin, myself, but what I did was install a custom Cursor by downloading one from DeviantArt and then installing it by creating a folder in the Home Folder called .icons and placing the cursor file in it. I can go into detail on that option if you like.

bennylava wrote:3. Is there somewhere besides the software center, where you can launch your newly installed programs from? I'm used to being able to go to the start menu, and scroll through there somewhere and find my programs. But they just don't seem to be there anywhere. I'd also like to find that so I can easily make desktop icons to place on the desktop. As of now I have to open the software center and launch from there.

Well, if you freshly installed, there really should be a Zorin Logo Icon where the Start Menu was on your old Windows stuff. Clicking that opens the Applications from the Panel. If that is missing, you may need to check your Appearance settings from page 100 (or in those page ranges) from Swarfendors unofficial guide linked above.
Hitting alt-F2 also opens a launching dialogue box in which you can type the name of the application you would like to launch. Be AWARE: This dialogue box, like the terminal, does not accept spaces in names. You must replace spaces in names with a dash, for example, "gnome-tweak-tool" instead of "gnome tweak tool" and so on. For single word names, no dash needed. You also do not need to put a dash in normal spaced breaks, for example the command to install software we used above; "sudo apt-get install example-application" <-the spacing here is normal except for spaces in names.

bennylava wrote:4. I'd like to be able to make the window control buttons bigger. Those little buttons in the top right hand corner of every window. You know, close, minimize, maximize, etc. For me they are very tiny. I hope that I don't end up having to run in 1080p, as I prefer to be able to make full use of my 1440p monitor.

You cannot change just the size of those buttons, but you can either change your screen resolution or install a Theme. I have tormented this poor forum mercilessly about themes and can give you a detailed walkthrough on that if you are interested, as can many others.

bennylava wrote:5. Anyone know why certain windows just can't be made bigger? Say the settings window for example. A lot of various settings windows, are stuck at the size they are when you open them. Just curious on this one. Some of them could stand to get a little bigger. Not a deal breaker though.

I never noticed this! Just tested it using the System Settings window and sure enough, it cannot be resized. I think a smarter linux user may weigh in, but I may ask about your screen resolution, again.

bennylava wrote:6. Can I upgrade from the core version, to the paid version, without having to reinstall Zorin? If I decide to keep it as my Linux os.

Zorinantwerp or Swarfendor should be able to help you with this question; I will only say, Welcome To Zorin and I hope your experience with it becomes as positive as mine has been. There are many great distros out there and I stumbled onto Zorin by chance. I was aiming for Linux Mint, at the time. I am very glad I was saddled up with Zorin, instead. While learning a new O.S. can be trying... I think Zorin was much easier on me than many other options I could have gone with.

bennylava

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:08:16 am

Thank you for the reply! Yes I would like to hear what you have to say about themes. Are there more themes to be had than just the ones that come with Zorin? I was watching some youtube videos about Zorin, and I noticed that some older videos seemed to have a certain link, or button you could click on that would install more themes. However, my version of Zorin Core does not have this. Is this something that is only available with the paid version?

Also, does your modified cursor have the proper accuracy? Or is it just a new skin they put on the original cursor? But didn't change the... hit boxes. That's all I know them as, from video games.

Aravisian

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:30:50 am

bennylava wrote:Thank you for the reply! Yes I would like to hear what you have to say about themes. Are there more themes to be had than just the ones that come with Zorin? I was watching some youtube videos about Zorin, and I noticed that some older videos seemed to have a certain link, or button you could click on that would install more themes. However, my version of Zorin Core does not have this. Is this something that is only available with the paid version?

Also, does your modified cursor have the proper accuracy? Or is it just a new skin they put on the original cursor? But didn't change the... hit boxes. That's all I know them as, from video games.

I type out a full walkthrough on themes, how to install them, how to elevate your user privileges, etc... And when I hit "post", the forum told me I need Login to make a post (I was logged in!) and when I did, it lost the Entire Post.
So, I need to go count to ten for a few hours... then I will try again later.
I'm... Annoyed.
Yes, all the cursors I use are totally accurate and I use some weird ones. One of them, if left unattended too long, will randomly attack other objects on the screen. It will start shooting at them and buzzing around. You may prefer a cursor that doesn't try to kill you.
https://www.deviantart.com/customizatio ... -24-hours/
Installation is as simple as: Create a folder in your home folder and name it ".icons" (dot icons) and place the extracted Cursor theme folder in it. Use the aforementioned gnome tweak tool to change the cursor theme. There is a possible snag that can occur here and I typed it out in the post I made 20 mins ago that the forum lost- I will re-type it when I re-make that post. But if putting the cursor theme in .icons folder doesn't work right away, please wait for the next post.
Themes are similarly as easy, but the first time you do it, there is a lot of unfamiliar ground to cover.
You can browse themes Here:
https://www.gnome-look.org/browse/cat/135/
There is even a Windows XP mock up, (Linux O.S. that LOOKS like XP) and a windows10 one, too.
https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1230964/
GTK3 Themes on DeviantArt:
Ill, again, do a detailed walkthrough again when my head cools off. There are some distinct differences between gnome GTk3.12 and GTK3.22 that will make some themes not work, which is why the details needed.
As far as the paid Ultimate Version of Zorin: What that really is is more like a Donation to the Zorin Gorup. It is a "Thank You" to the developers of Zorin for all the hard work they have put into designing and assembling the Zorin O.S. we use, from the first all the way up to this, the twelve incarnation and all the updates in between. Needless to say, it is Money Well Spent.
The paid version comes with Tech Support. I believe that most if not all of the software it comes with is FOSS (Free Open Source, baby!) software that you can install on your own, anyway. The paid version is not really a purchase so much as lending a hand, financially to all the hard work the group has done. But it doesn't BUY you a bunch of extra stuff and it is important to be aware of that ahead of time so you don't feel dismayed.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:25:15 pm

There is a complex way to make a cursor larger - simpler to install a cursor theme in the icons folder:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13737#p61538

As for text to be made larger, install synaptic package manager and install gnome-tweak-tool then get the 'text scaler' extension for your system tray and you can use a slide scale to instantly change all your text to a readable size across thesystem.

If 'Al acarte' (Main menu) is not on the system, install it via Synaptic and then edit your applications to show up in the menu instead of Software Centre. If the items are not Ubuntu/Zorin specific that could be why not showing up in menu. For existing applications just open the menu, right-click in the menu and select 'Create desktop shortcut'. ;) :D

Aravisian

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:03:39 am

On themes:
Themes are available in a variety of places, created by themers to add personalization or appearance preferences to your O.S.
I posted some links above; to re-cap:
https://www.gnome-look.org/browse/cat/135/
Once you have found and downloaded the theme you want, navigate to your downloads folder and extract the file. Depending on your file manager, you can right click and select "Extract here" or double click it and use the Ubuntu Software window that opens and select "Extract".
Now, I mentioned a Snag- this applies to themes and to cursors. The Snag is this:
The path or folder tree may contain too many branches which cause the O.S. to not see the cursor or theme. For example, we will call our theme, "ThemeA". The path to it as installed would be usr/share/themes/"ThemeA" folder. Inside the ThemeA folder, you would see the mechanics of the theme, the GTK2 Folder, the GTK3 folder, Index.theme, gtk.css and so on. Some themers put it all into another folder before packaging it causing the path as extracted and moved to look like usr/share/themes/"ThemeA"/ThemeA,again/(Contains GTK2, GTK3, gtk.css, index theme, etc.) The solution is easy: Just move the folder that contains GTK2, GTK3, gtk.css, index theme, etc. into the proper folder "themes". The same for cursors; move just the folder containing the index.cursor file and the other items for making the cursor into the .icons folder in your Home folder.
To Install your theme:
To install for the entire computer, you must elevate privileges in your file manager. I believe you are using Nautilus, so first, just open your file manager. You should see your normal Home Folder items, like Music, videos, pictures, documents. On the left side where the folder tree is, the last item toward the bottom is "Other locations." Click that. You can then see the root folders. In this window, you see your folder named "home" as well as other system folders. Scroll down to the folder named usr and open it. Then open the folder named share. Scroll all the way down (it's in alphabetical order) to the folder named Themes. Right click that and choose "Open as root" or "Open as administrator." You will need to enter your sudo (Super User DO) password. It will open the themes folder in a new window and you can now move your new theme folder into the system themes folder.
IF you right click but do not see the "Open as Root" option, just hit ctrl-alt-T to open terminal and type in
Code:
gksudo nautilus

You will need to enter your sudo password and it will open the file manager in elevated privileges and you can move folders and navigate normally without having to enter your password again.
Once installed, use the gnome tweak tool to enable the theme.
Last, you can install themes using the terminal if the theme has a repository. I like dark themes, so for example, I installed Vertex-Dark until I could replace it with the theme I wanted.
In the case of Vertex, the repository would be entered into the Terminal command:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/horst3180/vertex-theme --depth 1 && cd vertex-theme

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install vertex-theme

Remember; in terminal there are no spaces between NAMES. There are spaces between words, but when a program or item is named, replace spaces with a dash. This way, you can explore and experiment installing other themes, just type a dash for any spaces in the name, for example the theme "Ultimate dark" would be "ultimate-dark" in terminal.
Finally, due to developments in GTK3, you won't be able to use GTK2 themes. You must stick to GTK3 themes. Ok, technically there is a way, I'm using that way, but it gets pretty complex.
Not all GTK3 themes will work or will work only partially. Some of the ones you find may be older (Like GTK3.16) and you are running GTK3.22
Because the GTK developments proceeded in the manner they did ( I worded that very diplomatically!) one update from GTK3.18 to GTK3.22 was enough to break the theme. So, you will want to find several you like and test them out.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:04:24 pm

Hi Aravision,

Yes that is in respect of 'themes' 'per se', where you have an icon set, pointers, window borders etc. There are specific 'mouse pointer' themes that ONLY contain mouse pointers. The one I referred to from my accessibility thread is good because it has no shadows like another scheme I had used previously.

For the technical method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxfa2fXJ1Wc

;) :D

Aravisian

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:02:50 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Aravision,

Yes that is in respect of 'themes' 'per se', where you have an icon set, pointers, window borders etc. There are specific 'mouse pointer' themes that ONLY contain mouse pointers.

I was having to re-post something I had tried to post earlier, so that was a continuation, not an address to your post.
Swarfendor437 wrote:The one I referred to from my accessibility thread is good because it has no shadows like another scheme I had used previously.

For the technical method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxfa2fXJ1Wc

;) :D

Thanks for posting that guide on increasing the cursor size, as I wanted to know how but didn't know how. Perhaps the OP can install an icon he likes AND increase its size, too. That's what I am about to do :D

In the meantime, small update that is a bit on topic- Gnome 3.32 has been released. I am confident the OP remains on 3.22 at this time. GTK3.32 has new rules for icons and some changes to how the shell operates... Which renders some of what I did recently in creating my own theme- obsolete on that update. LOL
I say this from looking at how it operates, not from physical testing. I am not even sure if gnome 3.32 could be updated onto 12.4 Zorin. I did update Zorin last night and gnome was not included.
I'm actually happy about the timing of it since it allows me to examine those changes now instead of waiting another six months. I have not attempted to update to 3.32 and have no designs of doing so on this machine. I have much to learn, before I do that, but when I do it may help to build understanding of how to make a longer lasting theme.

Edit To Add:
I watched the video Swarfendor linked to and at the end of the video, he also tells a quick tip to increase font size:
From your Applications menu, select System Settings, then select Universal Access and there is a switch for font size there, as well. I tested it on the largest font and it worked, but quickly disabled it before the large letters created a series of gravity wells that would spaghettifi my icons.

bennylava

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:26:28 am

Thanks for all the replies! The questions in my OP have pretty much all been answered now. But I do have a few more questions, as I learn more about Linux by using Zorin for these past few days.

1. Do you have to wipe the OS to do a full upgrade? When the next release of Zorin finally comes out, will I have to essentially wipe out the old release, to install the new one? Will the hard drive be formatted? Or can you just "upgrade" to it, and thus you don't have to do any reinstalling of programs?

2. Is there a way to move the start menu a little to the right, and down a bit? Maybe a different theme would be required for this, I don't know. This is just my humble opinion: It looks a bit mickey mouse to me. For some reason, the start menu in the bottom left, looks like... well it looks to me like something for kindergarteners. Its small, and it sort of hovers away from the taskbar and the side of the screen. I'd like there to be more options and buttons in it, and I'd like for it to touch the taskbar and the left hand side of the screen, as it does in Windows 10. Just personal preference, so if there is any way I could adjust this, I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me.

3. Are there Conkys available in Zorin? I would like to have the standard computer monitor, maybe a network montior, and one for my local weather. Is this possible? Or is that only for XFCE?

Aravisian

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:02:24 am

bennylava wrote:1. Do you have to wipe the OS to do a full upgrade? When the next release of Zorin finally comes out, will I have to essentially wipe out the old release, to install the new one? Will the hard drive be formatted? Or can you just "upgrade" to it, and thus you don't have to do any reinstalling of programs?

It is true for just about any operating system that moving up to the next release requires a fresh install.
Perhaps others will give better advice, but I save my Home Folder in a back up and I note any software I install in a notepad file saved in my documents folder so that I know what programs I would need to re-install.
bennylava wrote:2. Is there a way to move the start menu a little to the right, and down a bit? Maybe a different theme would be required for this, I don't know. This is just my humble opinion: It looks a bit mickey mouse to me. For some reason, the start menu in the bottom left, looks like... well it looks to me like something for kindergarteners. Its small, and it sort of hovers away from the taskbar and the side of the screen. I'd like there to be more options and buttons in it, and I'd like for it to touch the taskbar and the left hand side of the screen, as it does in Windows 10. Just personal preference, so if there is any way I could adjust this, I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me.

3. Are there Conkys available in Zorin? I would like to have the standard computer monitor, maybe a network montior, and one for my local weather. Is this possible? Or is that only for XFCE?

I am attaching a current screenshot of my screen:

SS1.png

I blanked out my name and I.P. in the SS.
As you can see, Yes! you can use conky's. I went insane with mine. Strangely, the over-kill does help. I have two monitors, so I leave the conky monitor (What you see in the image) usually unobstructed by windows and I can glance to see the graph on CPU or GPU usage, or look harder on the left side to see detailed usage if I need. Over-kill, but useful.
Sadly, Weather Conky's are a bit of a problem. It used to be that you could tap into the ordinary servers for weather information but those services have been discontinued. I have not found any way to get a working weather conky- perhaps someone else has and can chime in.
https://teejeetech.in/conky-manager/
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install conky-manager

Code:
sudo apt-get install conky-manager

Code:
sudo apt-get install conky-all

You also may notice that I 'mimicked" the appearance of my preferred theme "Azenis for Gnome" by combining my background image, Cairo-dock, an invisible (transparent) icon where the Applications menu is (Or Start menu). I am using Cardapio as my application menu as it can stand alone, be opened with a keyboard shortcut anywhere on the screen and I was able to use Glade Interface designer to change its appearance to mimic Gnome-Menu with Azenis Theme.
NOTE: None of the above come installed with Zorin.
You can explore your options of different docks, software etc. and download and install what suits you. Gnome-Menu was the GTK2 version of GTK3's Application menu and has been discontinued for years.

Aside from going insane with outrageous personalization as I have done, you can adjust the look of your Start Menu in Zorin by your Zorin Appearance Settings.
That application (start) menu is on The Panel. So the settings are labeled as "Panel" settings.
Open yuor settings (Applications, system settings, Zortin Appearance) and you will see the panel Settings tab. You can choose the Size of the panel to make it larger or smaller. You can adjust left or right, top or bottom of your screen.
You can change the icon, but that gets more complex and is going to require you to elevate your user privileges to access those folders. I think it would be better to start by trying out a Dock, instead. The one I am using, Cairo-dock, is old and a bit outdated but still mostly functional. You can change any icon on it easily and there are MANY options to customize all aspects of its appearance. It has a GUI, so is very easy to use. I have had it for a while and when I look deeper, I am still finding new customization options I had not noticed before...

bennylava

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:49:31 pm

Thanks again! I guess this thread will just go on for pages lol. I'll just keep learning from yall. So my next question is:

Is there a way to adjust the mouse wheel sensitivity? As of now, it kind of lags. It waits a couple of seconds before it actually begins scrolling.

Another question I have is about the need to upgrade. I like to use an OS for 5 or 6 years before I upgrade to the next one. Its just what I'm used to I guess. Will this be possible with Zorin? Rather, would it be a good idea. I I know that security updates would be missing if you kept using an older version past the date it was supported, but then again, like everyone says, Linux is pretty darn secure as it is. So in my mind at least, that conflicts a little bit. To hear people talk, you could be using Puppy Linux from 10 years ago and probably be fine.

bennylava

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:56:03 am

One other thing I'd like to add in:

Does the proprietary Nvidia driver function better than the xorg open source drivers? I've noticed that nearly everything in Zorin seems a bit... clunky. Just about anytime you go to minimize a window, or open a new window, or even just move a window, you have to wait. Also, the animations are also clunky when it does actually start moving. So I was wondering if the Nvidia driver would speed things up, make the OS seem more snappy. I really don't care how much ram it uses, as long is its always really fast.

Aravisian

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:58:17 am

bennylava wrote:Is there a way to adjust the mouse wheel sensitivity? As of now, it kind of lags. It waits a couple of seconds before it actually begins scrolling.

Your question below about Nvidia drivers and this question may be related.
From your system settings, select "Mouse and Touchpad" to see those mouse settings; I don't see anything specifically for the wheel there, but the sensitivity is an Input Setting and not usually separated- at least it isn't on that Other O.S. You may also explore with your teak tool a bit- I haven't tested that to see what it shows... I just got in from a long drive. But - As mentioned above,t hat lag may be due to the drivers question and solution which is worth checking that first.
bennylava wrote:I like to use an OS for 5 or 6 years before I upgrade to the next one.

Same here. In my opinion, you pretty much answered your own question. ;) Have you installed ClamAV as antivirus on your machine?
bennylava wrote:Does the proprietary Nvidia driver function better than the xorg open source drivers? I've noticed that nearly everything in Zorin seems a bit... clunky. Just about anytime you go to minimize a window, or open a new window, or even just move a window, you have to wait. Also, the animations are also clunky when it does actually start moving. So I was wondering if the Nvidia driver would speed things up, make the OS seem more snappy. I really don't care how much ram it uses, as long is its always really fast.

On my machine, I am using Intel. I had the same problem you describe and when I tried a fix, it got much, much worse. Very slow and laggy and hesitant. I figured out that I did the fix wrong, re-did it correctly and after that, my machine is fast, responsive and all video or graphic issues are totally resolved.
The fix involved installing xorg drivers exclusively, though there was a catch: You MUST also enter in terminal
Code:
sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-all

at the time of install.
This is because the "input all" was not included in the install and when I rebooted, my computer was not recognizing the keyboard. Or the mouse. Fixing that with no input was a ton of fun, I can tell you.
I have read a lot of conflicting information on the Nvidia drivers. Some say it is preferred and others say to avoid it like plague and just use xorg.
I was going to reply to your questions earlier, but I am not much more experienced with Linux than you are. In fact, you seem more on the ball than me. I started, with Zorin, using Linux first time about a couple of months ago. So, I figured I would wait and see if more knowledgeable folks had time to see and respond. It's been a long enough wait now, I'll risk offering my humble opinion.
I'd go with xorg. Try it out, test it out (Just be sure to install xserver xorg input all) and see if that produces a satisfactory result. This is because when you install the O.S., it looks to use the hardware you have and bases it's install on that rather than choosing for you. I think this means going with xorg would be a change for your system.
If that fails you, I would then look into Nvidia drivers.
It seems to me that many software and hardware providers claim to serve both Linux and Windows, but the effort put into Linux is a token one, as Windows is their primary concern. How token that effort is varies by provider and is pretty hit and miss.

Edit To Add:
After posting, I thought twice about leaving this as it is: I think it would do well to give a heads up Just In Case you run into trouble like I had. So:
If something goes wrong and you cannot log in normally, you can boot Recovery Console. To do this on Zorin (Currently) - On boot up press and hold the Left Shift Key.
This results in seeing the console where you can boot Recovery Mode, drop to terminal, etc.
The window will appear with memtest and "Advanced Options"- select Advanced Options, then Recovery Mode. The window will then look like this:
rm.png
rm.png (2.84 KiB)

Mostly self explanatory, but you see "Root" listed. Selecting that will enable you to enter commands via terminal allowing you to correct a problem, then reboot.
Hopefully, this will help save you from a headache, later.

bennylava

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:46:29 am

Thanks! Yeah I'll research more into xorg vs nvidia later on. It sucks that they are closed source, but I guess they'd be giving away the golden cow if they made them open source. Since they'd similar to the same ones on windows. Only thing I'd question is if they're doing any spying, but I guess since they're closed source we're not going to be able to tell. I'm a little concerned that Ubuntu bundles Skype with their distro, which is a spy machine to its core. Things like start to shake my hope for sticking with Zorin vs going with some other distro. Since Zorin is based on Ubuntu. Linux seems fun to play with but a major reason for me switching is to get away from all the abuse that microsoft and other major corporations seem to love to heap onto their users.

Aravisian

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:04:34 pm

bennylava wrote:Thanks! Yeah I'll research more into xorg vs nvidia later on. It sucks that they are closed source, but I guess they'd be giving away the golden cow if they made them open source. Since they'd similar to the same ones on windows. Only thing I'd question is if they're doing any spying, but I guess since they're closed source we're not going to be able to tell. I'm a little concerned that Ubuntu bundles Skype with their distro, which is a spy machine to its core. Things like start to shake my hope for sticking with Zorin vs going with some other distro. Since Zorin is based on Ubuntu. Linux seems fun to play with but a major reason for me switching is to get away from all the abuse that microsoft and other major corporations seem to love to heap onto their users.

I am not surprised that Nvidia is not open source. It's still worth looking into, though. At least you can check xorg using their open source material.
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xorg/
I could not agree more about Skype. I always considered it a virus.
Zorin is based on Ubuntu, as many distros are, but it is also not quite Ubuntu, either. Zorin is based on Ubuntu 16.04 as a framework platform, but then re-worked by the Zorin group into the Zorin O.S. I have found many differences that are very stark already. So, while you can generally search up a problem in Zorin by running a search on how to fix it in Ubuntu 16.04, it won't always work. The above mentioned holding of Left Shift key is such an example.
My own opinion is: Can't fully escape from spying. We can reduce it... But as long as we interconnect on a network, it's nearly inevitable. Because no matter where we go, Google has it's mitts in there somewhere.
Yeah, I said it.
I mean, look at how Chrome Browser is so popularly promoted. It's made by Google- my trust in it is Zero. Street view; Busted for accessing networks and spying; Googles home Nest product; busted for a microphone operating in it that wasn't disclosed. And remember when Xbox was busted for the camera being operational and watching people in their homes? If someone is offering Free Convenience or 'fun', there's a pricey catch to it.
So, even using Zorin, even with your O.S. clean as a whistle, once you connect to the web, you'll run into something not attached to your O.S. that will try to gather information. Google spiders crawl everywhere. Got a cell phone running android? Kiss privacy goodbye. So, while you cannot eliminate it entirely, you can reduce it enough to minimize the target marketing they aim for. Personally, (I could be wrong), I think you're better off with any Linux Distro about as much as any other, as long as you pro-actively take steps to secure your privacy. I'm not ready to don a tin foil hat. A few steps is generally good enough for me and if they still glean some marketing information on me, it isn't worth much.

EDIT to Add: I can find no evidence demonstrating that the Google Nest built in Microphone I referenced WAS operational. Merely that it was present in the device, but not disclosed as such. Until there is any evidence that it was in use, I stand corrected on that claim.

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:55:07 pm

in respect of upgrading to the next major release it will not be upgradable from Zorin 12. There are some significant changes in the pipe line. ;) :D

bennylava

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:58:46 am

Well as for the other privacy issues, those can be handled separately. I won't ever give up on privacy, its a matter of principle. And I'll vote for politicians who are pro online privacy. In the U.S we really need a "right to privacy act" that would put an end to any and all spying, even by government unless a judge issues a warrant. You can put an end to it now, if you want to be inconvenienced by running NoScript. It seems that pretty much all of the spying relies on JavaScript, and without that, it just can't run. I'm trying to figure out if there is another means before I go that far. Browser addons help, like ghostery and a few others. (ghostery kills all trackers)

But even firefox has taken money from some very questionable sources. Then again its open source, as well. So you'd think someone would just spot the spy code, after some time went by. Haven't heard anything about it yet. So either they're being very clever, or its not there. So has Canonical, and lo and behold, a spy machine (skype) appears bundled with Ubuntu. If I was set on ubuntu I'd just rip it out of there, whether its intertwined with the OS or not. I know they need money but they could get it from other sources. They could ignore the self entitled people who want everything for free and start charging for ubuntu, or for updates, or for certain software. Or all of the above and more. They could integrate a cryptocurrency (like Brave browser did) and take a certain small percentage of every transaction. Most people would gladly pay it if it was guaranteed spyware free, if by being a customer you were always going to have the company on your side. And then they could afford to offer support. I wouldn't listen to the detractors of that for one second, they obviously have no idea how money works. I guess they think that food and shelter just appears out of thin air, for free, a gift from the divine.

Anyway I figure I can at least make sure the OS itself, the very core of my computing life, isn't corrupted with spyware. Which Linux does seem to do a good job of, by and large. But there are some red flags here and there with certain distros. I can remember a time when that was heresy, and largely still is. I never really switched over to linux but I've always kinda read about it here and there. And that is part of the foundation of the linux ethos, to not be part of spying. (among other things) I use a VPN, and I'm going to set up a good firewall. Going to switch to that gutted version of Android on my phone (i forget the name) cause they took out all the spyware. Then you can still run all the android stuff. A good browser for android is Adblock Browser. I might switch from Firefox to Pale Moon, which is supposed to be the most secure browser these days. But that's hard to do when there actually isn't any real evidence that Mozilla has done anything wrong. If you try to chase it down, you never really can figure out the answer for sure. It looks to me like the answer is no, they're not doing anything wrong. But they're walking that fine line, and really that's enough for me to start looking at alternatives.

bennylava

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:56:44 am

Does anyone know how to go about installing this?

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... e-chooser/

I got one of them working quite easily, its the OpenWeatherMap thing on the same site. I love that open weather extension. Kinda feel like its one of the few bits of good luck I've had thus far, when setting up Zorin. It just worked and I've been having trouble with weather apps on windows 10. Felt real nice to not have to fight with something and learn a lot just to make it work. :D

But I saw that you mentioned that we're on GTK version 3.22. So in the link, I selected that. Then you have to pick some number to the right, no idea what that is. You can only pick the number 32. Then, it just downloads an archive for you. That's fine, but I have no idea what to do with that archive. Maybe someone here can school me on how to install it. There are other things that also require you to pick an extension version. Saw one that I wanted where you once again pick GTK 3.22, but then you have to choose between 16, and 17 on the extension version lol. Who knows.

I already love these shell extensions though. I think I can make Zorin much more to my liking if I can get enough of those little niceties going.

Aravisian

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:13:35 pm

bennylava wrote:Browser addons help, like ghostery and a few others. (ghostery kills all trackers)

Ah, thanks for the tip. :D
bennylava wrote:I can remember a time when that was heresy, and largely still is.

I'm scientifically minded in general, so strongly believe in the principle of always test and question everything. Never just accept authority, but independently verify and examine. Ask the questions; be responsible enough to check the answers.
bennylava wrote:I might switch from Firefox to Pale Moon, which is supposed to be the most secure browser these days. But that's hard to do when there actually isn't any real evidence that Mozilla has done anything wrong. If you try to chase it down, you never really can figure out the answer for sure. It looks to me like the answer is no, they're not doing anything wrong. But they're walking that fine line, and really that's enough for me to start looking at alternatives.

I use Waterfox browser. Initially, I downloaded both Pale Moon and Waterfox. I kept having issues with getting Pale Moon to work. That may be due to errors onmy part, but I chose Waterfox as my browser of choice in the end.
Thanks, too for the tip on adblock browser for android.
bennylava wrote:Does anyone know how to go about installing this?

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... e-chooser/

This requires you to create a login account on Google Chrome and then, using Chrome browser, go to that webpage. When you do this, that window at the top will contain an installer instead of the gray window you see there when visiting with a different browser.
bennylava wrote:Then you have to pick some number to the right, no idea what that is. You can only pick the number 32.

I believe that would be 32 or 64 bit system. You are running 64 bit, which means you may have a problem, there.
bennylava wrote:Then, it just downloads an archive for you. That's fine, but I have no idea what to do with that archive. Maybe someone here can school me on how to install it. There are other things that also require you to pick an extension version. Saw one that I wanted where you once again pick GTK 3.22, but then you have to choose between 16, and 17 on the extension version lol. Who knows.

I already love these shell extensions though. I think I can make Zorin much more to my liking if I can get enough of those little niceties going.

This takes a bit of practice.
When you move to manually install
Code:
./configure
Code:
make
Code:
install

or
Code:
sudo make install

You must ensure you look up what dependencies you have and which you need. Sometimes, when you attempt to install, yuo will see what dependencies are missing in the Terminal window when it fails to install. You must read the output in Terminal as you use it, too.
So you may need to show a link to what file you are specifically referring to in order to get good advice on how to install it.

Swarfendor had taught on this board how to use a software called "alien" and GDebi Package Installer as a useful alternative way to install some things.
Very neat trick.
If you would like to explore this, in Terminal enter
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

Code:
sudo apt-get install alien

Once you have the Alien converter installed, you can use it to convert files. In this case, we are looking to convert to .deb files.
Navigate to the folder that contains the item you wish to convert and then open it in terminal OR open terminal and use the "cd" command to open that folder in terminal.
Enter in sudo alien "EXAMPLEFILENAME" - The file extension must be included in that example file name
Code:
sudo alien example.tar.gz

Alien does not operate with a GUI. Conversion is as easy as entering in the terminal above.
GDebi has a GUI. Once you open that, open your newly created .deb file in GDebi package installer and select install. If any dependencies are missing, the Gdebi GUI will list them and you know exactly what you need to get and install, first.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:49:29 pm

Hi, I've never required a Google Chrome account/password to get the gnome shell extensions - I can even 'run' the extensions page in Firefox - you just need to accept the add-on. If you read my unofficial manual you will see my recommendations for the 'little niceties' - just look for the link to the manual under announcements. ;) :D

Aravisian

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:24:25 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I've never required a Google Chrome account/password to get the gnome shell extensions - I can even 'run' the extensions page in Firefox - you just need to accept the add-on. If you read my unofficial manual you will see my recommendations for the 'little niceties' - just look for the link to the manual under announcements. ;) :D

I stand corrected. I could find no way to access a gnome shell extension without doing the steps I described and when I looked into it, the gnome shell extension webpage told me I needed to login with my Ubuntu account.

bennylava

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:04:19 pm

Well here's another round of questions from me:

1. If I change the resolution in Zorin, can I still watch 1440p videos on youtube? Or would that be impossible? Say I set the resolution to 1080p. Would 1440p youtube videos still run in 1440p in the little section of screen that the video occupies? Or if you went to fullscreen mode. Try as I might, I can't get all the issues with 1440p worked out. It seems that its this way on every distro except Kubuntu. Or others that run plasma or kde or whatever the myriad of names for that is. I'm considering this because I just can't get all of the windows, and window control buttons to look the same. Maybe there's a way to do it, but I've been at it for a few days now and that's just too long to spend doing that. Some window control buttons will be large, others medium sized, others small and somewhat difficult to see. So maybe setting it to 1080p resolution would make everything all the same? (I like them to be on the larger side with big hitboxes). The window borders also vary in size depending on what window you have open. Maybe I'm being OCD or something, but that type of thing just grates on me. I crave uniformity in certain things.

2. This one will be another clear newbie coming from windows question: Why are even .deb packages somewhat... lengthy (and difficult) to install? As I'm sure you're all aware, the installation process is dirt simple in windows. With linux, there seems to be at least 4 different installation methods that all appear different to me. The easiest one I've encountered, is that Openweather shell extension, where you just click a toggle switch on their website and it asks you if you want to install. You click yes. That was awesome. I have installed some other things via the software center, and that was also quite easy. I even downloaded my vpn app (Private Internet Access) and they had an excellent guide on their site imo. You used the command line but their explanation left nothing out. Made it super easy. So that maybe that is my problem, people not putting up good explanations. They even had pics showing each step. I don't really mind dealing with dependencies. From my understanding, it tells you what is missing, and you just install that dependency from the command line. Doesn't sound too awful difficult. What I just can't really understand yet, is why the installation of one thing, is different from another thing. Its almost like the pieces of the program are all going into different folder or something. Like they've got a bunch of stuff, that all goes to different places. Thus far, this has been the hardest part for me when it comes to switching to Linux. Other than the nagging display issues, its the only real trouble I've had. Those are the only 2 things I'd change if I could.

3. I heard something about a new open source video driver for linux. Started with a W... can't remember the name. Weyland? Something like that. Its supposed to replace Xorg which is from the 80's. Anyone know anything about it, and when it might be available? It would be cool to ditch Nvidia's proprietary driver if possible.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:02:08 pm

1. With regards YouTube issues I suspect this might be a Google issue in much the same way as Google Maps - will only work in Google Chrome - you could see if that helps by downloading the correct Linux version of Google Chrome for your setup.

2. .deb packages are best installed using Gdebi package manager as it will tell you if your system meets all requirements of the software - in the next major release of Zorin you will be able to use 'Snap' packages - this is the system where lots of software can be installed from one location and is not dependent on any OS - as it will identify the system you are using. ;) :D

3. Wayland is an immature Display Server protocol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_% ... rotocol%29

Finally, if you have more questions, please start a new thread - this one was specifically to do with font size and cursor size - not 'ad infinitum' question thread. Adding more to this thread on different topics will get deleted - you have been advised in a friendly manner - as Dr. Banner once said: "Don't make me angry. You don't want to see me when I'm angry." ;)

Aravisian

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:45:50 am

bennylava wrote:2. This one will be another clear newbie coming from windows question: Why are even .deb packages somewhat... lengthy (and difficult) to install? As I'm sure you're all aware, the installation process is dirt simple in windows. With linux, there seems to be at least 4 different installation methods that all appear different to me. The easiest one I've encountered, is that Openweather shell extension, where you just click a toggle switch on their website and it asks you if you want to install. You click yes. That was awesome. I have installed some other things via the software center, and that was also quite easy. I even downloaded my vpn app (Private Internet Access) and they had an excellent guide on their site imo. You used the command line but their explanation left nothing out. Made it super easy. So that maybe that is my problem, people not putting up good explanations. They even had pics showing each step. I don't really mind dealing with dependencies. From my understanding, it tells you what is missing, and you just install that dependency from the command line. Doesn't sound too awful difficult. What I just can't really understand yet, is why the installation of one thing, is different from another thing. Its almost like the pieces of the program are all going into different folder or something. Like they've got a bunch of stuff, that all goes to different places. Thus far, this has been the hardest part for me when it comes to switching to Linux. Other than the nagging display issues, its the only real trouble I've had. Those are the only 2 things I'd change if I could.

Not sure if this counts as on or off topic, but Swarfendor replied to other points and I'm not sure if he's gonna go all Darth Vader on us.
But on installation: You get used to it. ;)
When I moved over to Zorin from Windows (Which was not very long ago, at all) I had the same exact complaint. It seems like instructions are most often written with the assumption that you know what you are doing, already. And of course there I was staring at a terminal window with blank eyes and a bit of drool on my chin. I had no idea what to do with it.
Windows was easy to install things- and a bunch of unwanted junk along with it. And you have little control over it. And on Windows, it was also far more complex to install, with numerous things going into numerous locations and fragmented and redundancies- it only seemed easier because you were not involved in any of that process.
Linux gives more control back to you. The installation is much less complex and much less splattered all across your hard drive. Linux doesn't require defragging like Windows because each installation allocates an appropriate amount of space to allow growth and updates. Once you have done a few installations, you get the hang of it. And it sounds like you are already well on your way in that direction.
If you haven't already, you might look into Synaptic. At first, it baffled me since I wasn't sure what to check mark and what not to. But after a few installations where I looked up individual items with a net search (As well as you can click "Details" within Synaptic to learn more) I got the hang of it. It looks daunting at first, but is not so once you familiarize yourself and well worth more user control and awareness.
It's kind of like your very first time behind the wheel: "Headlights? What button does that? You tell me to turn them on as if I knew how or where to look." But after driving a bit, you can change cars, drive foreign cars, and maybe even tractors, you have enough general scope to confidently feel your way forward even if it's a new car.

Aravisian

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:53:38 am

bennylava,
ArtyomZorin just posted a link in the feedback forum addressing the Nvidia Driver question (Addressing a different user).
I decided to repost that link here, just in case it gets missed there as it relates to your Original post.
https://zorinos.com/help/activate-graphics-card/

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:09:45 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I've never required a Google Chrome account/password to get the gnome shell extensions - I can even 'run' the extensions page in Firefox - you just need to accept the add-on. If you read my unofficial manual you will see my recommendations for the 'little niceties' - just look for the link to the manual under announcements. ;) :D

I stand corrected. I could find no way to access a gnome shell extension without doing the steps I described and when I looked into it, the gnome shell extension webpage told me I needed to login with my Ubuntu account.

This is all I had to do at work and no Ubuntu account:

Screenshot from 2019-03-21 08-37-17.jpg

There used to be a 'get more extensions' link in gnome-tweak-tool - now it has become 'Tweaks' it is no longer there but using that website in the screenshot still enables installation of add-ons in Zorn 15 beta! :D :D :D

Aravisian

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:31:33 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

This is all I had to do at work and no Ubuntu account:

Screenshot from 2019-03-21 08-37-17.jpg

There used to be a 'get more extensions' link in gnome-tweak-tool - now it has become 'Tweaks' it is no longer there but using that website in the screenshot still enables installation of add-ons in Zorn 15 beta! :D :D :D

Ah, I have a question about this, then... When I did that link you show, it only adds a browser extension. But there is also a Native host extension.
Just to use an example:
Gno-Menu.
If I sign in with Ubuntu account, it installs Gno-Menu on my computer. But, if I do not, it only shows a browser extension. Is that accurate or am I screwin it all up?

Edit to add: Oh, by the way, you're off topic. :lol:

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:43:44 am

Not really off topic as once text scaler installed that can make a difference in size. I just clicked on the browser extension to make it possible to add those nice little extras like open weather and key indicator etc. :mrgreen:

bennylava

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:18:30 pm

I really hope you guys aren't using google chrome. In my research into linux before I decided to convert, I ended up learning about google chrome. Its basically a spy machine to the core, if you look into it. Its reporting your internet experience back to google, and by extension, the government. Just had to say that because google chrome got brought up, and I wasn't sure if it was something people around here were actually using. From what I've learned, if you're using chrome, you'd just as well use Windows 10. Sort of reminds me of all the people using wine to run anything and everything, and even installing anti malware cause they needed it while running wine.

zorinantwerp

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:48:29 pm

bennylava wrote:I really hope you guys aren't using google chrome. In my research into linux before I decided to convert, I ended up learning about google chrome. Its basically a spy machine to the core, if you look into it. Its reporting your internet experience back to google, and by extension, the government. Just had to say that because google chrome got brought up, and I wasn't sure if it was something people around here were actually using. From what I've learned, if you're using chrome, you'd just as well use Windows 10. Sort of reminds me of all the people using wine to run anything and everything, and even installing anti malware cause they needed it while running wine.

No worry. Expect the browser manager to return in final release.

7 Open Source web browsers for Linux that are free from Google. For those like you who don't trust the data collection magnet that is Google, here are seven Open Source browsers for Linux that are not 'infected':
QupZilla
Midori
Rekonq
Tor Browser
NetSurf
Pale Moon
GNOME Web

I use waterfox :)
+++

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:21:35 pm

To get back on OP query track -