This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help me running this game... "lost horizon"

pcfan5

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:58:36 pm

Hello there! I have installed this game "lost horizon" in my laptop under linux mint, it runs in WineQH, since in the standart wine 1.6 it gets stucked at somepoint. I installed without trouble WineQH in my Zorin machine, and the game was installed ok, I even installed it in windows 7 in my virtual machine....however I cannot run it. I have the following message:

Captura de pantalla_2019-03-04_14-12-54.png
Captura de pantalla_2019-03-04_14-12-54.png (13.67 KiB)

I have checked my Bios configuration, and added share memory to the on board graphic card. But I don't know what else to do there.

this is my computer:

Code:
inxi -Fnz
System:    Host: silestudio-MS-7529 Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Zorin 12 xenial
Machine:   Mobo: MICRO-STAR model: G31TM-P21 (MS-7529) v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: V4.7 date: 07/28/2010
CPU:       Dual core Pentium E5300 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           clock speeds: max: 2158 MHz 1: 1940 MHz 2: 2158 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1360x768@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G33 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 18.0.5
Audio:     Card-1 Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 VIA VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller
           driver: snd_ice1724
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-46-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (51.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HD322HJ size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 15G used: 8.4G (60%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: /home size: 271G used: 137G (54%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 8.59GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 193 Uptime: 55 min Memory: 1143.1/3935.7MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35

thank you in advanced for your reply.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:14:15 pm

If we are talking virtual here then that is the limitation of VM's they come with standard graphics and some games require certain elements to be present which in turn requires the correct drivers to support versions of DirectX amongst other things. Have you checked out if the game is compatible with Wine and also Cross-Over - what runs page? ;) :D

pcfan5

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:56:00 am

Hello. Sorry I didn't make Myself Clear, I tried the game in the virtual machine. It didn't work And I don't Mind.

On the other hand I install the game using Winehq and I've got that message
I'd like to correct the problem in Linux under Wine.
Is it really necessary That I buy en New graphic Card?

Please rephrase your question when you say "what runs-
Page?" Because I don't understand it. Sory

Aravisian

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:22:03 am

pcfan5 wrote:Is it really necessary That I buy en New graphic Card?

I don't know the detailed answer to the problem you are having (I will look to see if I can find one). Hopefully someone who knows will chime in, as well. But before you buy a new graphics card, I want to caution that it is unlikely to be your card that is the problem.
The problem would more likely be the Depth Buffer settings. That makes it a configuration problem, not a hardware problem.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:07:20 pm

Hi pcfan5,

No I was not suggesting a new graphics card - it's down to what Windows programs can run on Linux:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility

https://appdb.winehq.org/

;) :D

pcfan5

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:45:14 pm

Thank you for both of your replies.. I am able to run this game under wineHQ , under linux mint 18.3 xfce in my laptop which has 4gb RAM and procesor i5 . I cannot run this game in the machine, I gave the speks before.

Aravisian

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:08:19 pm

pcfan5 wrote:Thank you for both of your replies.. I am able to run this game under wineHQ , under linux mint 18.3 xfce in my laptop which has 4gb RAM and procesor i5 . I cannot run this game in the machine, I gave the speks before.

This is a tough one. Everything I searched is pretty empty. "Lost Horizon" works properly on another set up for you and according to WineHQ webpage, their testing had no problems, although the tester admits he did not play the game all the way to completion. This probably means that it is not due to outdated software.
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=35148
I tried it using a demo version and VMware (which was hair-pulling) and had no issues getting it to run. So it is tough to duplicate.
I think trying to find a solution to general "stencil buffer" issues may be the way to go but I have had no luck so far.

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:47:58 pm

I'd just like to point people back to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14035

pcfan5

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:04:55 pm

Aravisian wrote:...
I think trying to find a solution to general "stencil buffer" issues may be the way to go but I have had no luck so far.

Thank you so much!! Its a nice suggestion. I will search for that ...

PS: notifications doesn't arrive to my email, so if I don't enter here I don't know the replies I have

pcfan5

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:09:04 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I'd just like to point people back to this thread:

Thank you , I will wait then...

PS: whats the name of your windows border decorations? did you acomplish that in Zorin lite with all Xfce features?

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:23:19 pm

pcfan5 wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:I'd just like to point people back to this thread:

Thank you , I will wait then...

PS: whats the name of your windows border decorations? did you acomplish that in Zorin lite with all Xfce features?

Yes all packages (themes) installed - I think it was a variation of Redmond - not sure which pale blue bit I used for the windows borders as it went West - that is the OS got into difficulties and I'm not sure what I'm going to do regarding xfce and Zorin. ;) :D

pcfan5

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:21:51 pm

Hi there , I boder you again, I was trying to solved this problem, googling and as one of you said before is a configuration issue. But I don't know how to configure it. I remember when I installed this game in my laptop I got a a warining about screen configuration, which I correct and was able to play. But even when I enter into "winecfg" I cannot achieve the same. I have WineHq installed which removed the default wine version which came with the OS. this was due to the fact wine presented some failure in my laptop.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:44:10 pm

If you are running version 12.x of Zorin then I did state that Zorin dev team informed me that they were sorting out Wine to run correctly for the current major release before upgrading 12.x users via updates.