This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Suggestions for pdf reader

Aravisian

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:00:24 pm

I need to use pdf readers a lot (I think I have asked this before) but the pre-loaded libre office pdf reader on 12.4 is insanely slow. I mean, really slow. It has to load the next page for at least 60 seconds with each and every turn of the page and if you try to skip multiple pages it bogs down even more.
The libre office one is so bad, I end up borrowing a computer when I need to access pdf files.I cannot keep that up.

Can anyone recommend a fast or light weight pdf reader that works well?

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:27:51 pm

The standard pdf viewer has nothing to do with LibreOffice unless of course you are importing to Writer. You should be using 'Document Viewer'. Just do a search for pdf in Synaptic to see what else is out there, such as Evince. ;) :D

Aravisian

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:48:04 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:The standard pdf viewer has nothing to do with LibreOffice unless of course you are importing to Writer. You should be using 'Document Viewer'. Just do a search for pdf in Synaptic to see what else is out there, such as Evince. ;) :D

I don't know how I got the idea in my head that the PDF viewer I have is LibreOffice, but if I am wrong about that, I am totally ok with it. I was kind of hoping someone could say, "I use such and such and it works great."
I'll run some searches and see if I find anything that is faster than Cathedral Window flow.
(Note: Cathedral windows do not flow, that is a myth.)

zorinantwerp

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:31:41 pm

Hi

well I use Polar. it is going the extra mile.
find under 'software'

+++

Aravisian

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:53:13 am

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi

well I use Polar. it is going the extra mile.
find under 'software'

+++

Zorinantwerp, thanks, I will test that out.
I am currently testing Okular which works much faster than Evince.
But still is a bit slow.

I opted to use snap to install Polar over the Software option as Ubuntu-software is well... Hated voraciously by me.
Code:
sudo snap install polar-bookshelf

NOTE: If using a snap install, you must first install the Snap Program on your system if you have not done so already.

Aravisian

Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:16:20 am

This is such a fast response I am not sure if I should edit the above post or just make a new one.

But WOW. Blazing fast compared to all of the rest. Thank you Zorinantwerp. This is awesome.
I think; Problem Solved.

abbreviatedman

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:51:27 pm

I'll have to check out Polar. Thanks for the rec!

Does anyone know of an off-line pdf annotation tool?

zorinantwerp

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:57:15 pm

FYI All content is stored locally which means you can use Polar while offline. Polar cloud sync allows you to use Polar with other computers as well. And our webapp allows you to access your data anywhere.
Annotations are a central feature to Polar. While reading documents you can underline text or create area highlights. Once created, you can attach additional metadata to annotations such as comments and flashcards.

+++