This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Extremely Laggy System

shirsendu

Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:37:41 am

hi,
recently i got a bunch of old PCs for charity works, mostly 2004 build win Xp system [Spes are bolew]. and after goggling for hours for suitable free OS, Zorin OS got my attention, as the low specs and user friendliness was my main priority. after format and OS installation i was expecting a smooth experience, but unfortunately it was very laggy system without lunching any app or anything, start manu is opening after 3 seconds, window movement is 10 second long..

1st i tried Zorin OS 12.4 Core
2nd tried the Lite Version with no improvement.
3rd i update the OS using software update with no improvement at all.

But the old windows xp was working fine, so it is not a hardware problem i think, am i missing something??? How can i make it run smoother. these system will be used for teaching purpose, like web browsing, libreoffice, email, to do list and some very basic photo editing (optional).

These are the specifications.
Code:
CPU: Pentium 4 1.9GHz 400MHz FSB Socket 478
GPU: Intel Extreme Graphics 2 On Board Graphic Max. Share Memory Up To 64MB*
Chipset: Intel 845GL / ICH4
RAM: 512MB+1024MB @ DDR 266 MHz
HDD: 160GB @5400rpm
MBD:Biostar P4TDQ
BIOS: AWARD BIOS*

** Bios setting for VGA memory is set to 8MB instead of 1 MB. is there any command, tool or something to use the share video memory????
*** Bios is updated with recent bios firmware. now supports usb boot.

zorinantwerp

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:55:08 am

Hi,

Zorin Lite
CPU 700 MHz Single Core
RAM 512 MB
Storage 8 GB
Display 640 × 480 resolution

but perhaps you can test and try one of of following
Code:
https://itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/

+++

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:43:45 am

Your issue is down to shared graphics memory of 64Mb. I would advise you put Antix-17 on and you will see considerable difference. At first panel is at top but you can move it to bottom. It only needs 256 Mb to run. ;) :D